Favourite Record Shop

The late, lamented ‘Broad Street Jazz’ in Bath, followed by Mole Jazz in Kings Cross.

Present day - definitely Honest Jon’s in Coal Drop Yard, Kings Cross I think.

1 Like

Tubeway2 in Bridgnorth, great shop, lots of new and used vinyl and cds. Owned by Alex…nice bloke and good knowledge. Also a huge selection of dvds. Well worth a visit. I’ve never left the shop empty handed.

Lucky to have the excellent Quicksilver Music in sunny Southport.
Recently expanded into much larger premises with a great selection of new and second hand records.
The owner Dave is a lovely bloke too.
Places a weekly Saturday video on Facebook with the latest used stock.

3 Likes

I haven’t managed to get over to Southport since the move. Have you been to the new shop opened by the ex Rega man (I assume he did open)?

Discogs.

Yup… Vinylfinders opened a few months back.
I haven’t been yet so can’t comment on stocks or prices.
I generally find what I’m after at Quicksilver but I’ll have a look eventually.

1 Like

Quicksilver is a great shop. The problem for me is the limited opening hours. I used to combine visits with other activities in the area which tended to be early in the week. I need to make a special trip. Dave has good stock at fair prices.

1 Like

I am assuming you missed the golden age in our area in the 1970’s with two record shops in Hythe, the glorious Gramophone Records in Tontine Street Folkestone which still had listening booths up until the mid 80’s. Further up the Old High Street was Scenic Sounds part owned by Tommy Vance. On the corner of Guildhall Street Kent Audio had a great record section and along Sandgate Road was Mark II Records. Plus the large area of store space dedicated to records in Boots and WH Smith’s.

The days when it was worth going into Folkestone.

Yes. Only lived here for 27 years now.
I put discogs as looking back over past 2 or 3 years, i have bought a lot from there, with only one disappointment.
I know for many the fun of a shop is trawling through, hoping to find a bargin. But for me, bargins are hard to find. Most sellers use discogs to value their stock.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.