Fifth of all Streamed Songs in UK are RAP

I’ll also add that having a decent system really helps! Lots of genres/artists I’d shy away from but with streaming and an open mind I’m a very happy camper. Chris Stapleton comes to mind for me as well. Not my typical genre but damn it sounds good.

Oh yes, having decent sounds helps greatly, particularly with fast, dense mixes, with tight rhythms. Furthermore, simple mixes with close miked vocals for example benefit hugely the more natural the presentation is, another demanding performance trait for any system.

1 Like

You should! There is a whole genre of more jazzy and soulful rap as well, it might be more up your alley.

I’m not really a rap connoisseur myself, but one of the groups i liked a lot back in the day is Digable Planets:

2 Likes

Cheers @litemotiv, that’s an interesting track.

I just have this irrational belief that singing and music go together, rather than talking over a rhythm. Daft I know, but it something that is ingrained in this old git. It is a bit like saying I haven’t tried Guinness because I don’t like it. That’s not to say I couldn’t overcome this obvious prejudice with some exploration of the genre.

I have the same irrational dislike of musicals. Bursting into song in the middle of a scene for no apparent reason. Again daft, but I bet I am not alone.

But then again, I didn’t like Country music, now I do!

2 Likes

I like the rap I was exposed to when I was young, Cypress Hill, Two Live Crew, Ice T, NWA, LL Cool J, Snoop, etc. And there’s tons of good material out there. But like all genres/styles there’s a lot of crap too. That said, Rap probably only accounts for 10% of my listening if that. It’s not surprising to read the negative comments I read here given the demographics.

2 Likes

Rap isn’t something I ever thought I’d listen to at all but I do enjoy the Dog ‘n’ Bone EP by Rag ‘n’ Bone Man and Leaf Dog. Enough to pay the premium for the vinyl version. :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s a Rap track on The Style Council’s Cafe Bleu. And of course Rapture by Blondie.

2 Likes

Thank @Richard.Dane for that one. Of course the (c) was in reference to George Harrison.

I think like a lot of modern-era music the same thing is regurgitated ad nauseam, and this is especially true of formulaic unoriginal ‘rap’ due to its popularity with the yoof.

Public Enemy are a real listening experience, especially the earlier stuff. The production and layering of sounds is quite incredible. It takes a while to ‘get into’, but you won’t find any protest music much stronger or more powerful than this.

2 Likes

Blondie’s Rapture.

1 Like

Ha! Like it.

Almost as street as John Barnes’ sublime interpolation/rap insert, on the greatest football song ever, World In Motion.

2 Likes

Two thirds of all vinyl played songs in the uk comes from the Dark Side of the Moon album.

3 Likes

Nonsense. If true humanity is doomed.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot a :wink: in case my reply seemed terse!

1 Like

RIP Shock G.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.