FINAL VOTE: UPNP BRIDGE FOR NDS. YES or NO?

But for those of us, the “NDS/555DR with Bridge“ gives a Reference level SQ in a Roon environment, without having to spend the upgrade to ND555 or swap out the DAC (the most important element of the CD555/NDS/ND555 products)

Yes, just listening here, detail, staging and transient detail is excellent.

Just do it, build on the sound you like, sit back and enjoy

@simon.pepper
Agreed
As far As I understood, SONORE UPNP BRIDGE, as Rasberry are Computers. At least they need a Screen+ Keyboards for the config, Correct?
I’m not so used to this… outside my Mac world and I’m quite worried about it

@Simon-in-Suffolk
thnx. I will check. Has been few years that I was not in the forum even if actually I’ve been part of the Naim Community since ages (I had to re-logged in the new one few days ago)

Maybe a silly question … I have an NDS so where can I buy the Sonore UPNP Bridge in the UK? I cannot find it on Sonore website. Thanks.

The dedicated stand-alone Bridge is available from Small Green Computer see https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/upnpbridge?variant=6964135395362

The SonoreUPnP Bridge runs on all Sonore Rendus which are available from the UK Distributor https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/
They have some B-stock MicroRendus coming over in early April - see https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Sonore_microRendu_B-stock_V28_SW_Due_early_April/p317978_8336953.aspx

The packaged version of the UPnP Bridge from Sonore, the ‘Sonore UPnP Bridge’ is an out-of-the-box configuration, through a web browser - this runs either on the dedicated product from SGC (see links in the other posting) or on the Sonore Rendu range of products (also links in the posting) or on the SonicTransporter range from SGC and also available through the UK Distributor - this can also run Roon Core on a dedicated machine, rather than running it on a PC or iMac/MacBook etc.
Many have reported better SQ from a dedicated device for their Roon Core.
I use a NUC running ROCK.

There is also a software product, the LMS2UPNP Bridge, which can downloaded, for free, and installed on a Raspberry Pi, for this you would need a screen and keyboard, yes. You would also need an microSD for the Pi with its OS, and would need to setup the Pi and its OS as well as installing and configuring the UPnP Bridge.
If you don’t feel comfortable with the DIY approach then I would recommend the SGC dedicated Bridge product, and if you want the flexibility of having a USB output for a future DAC, then a MicroRendu product.

1 Like

Thanks S.P. Just to make sure I understand, I can buy from a US website a small box that only deliver the upnp bridge or I can buy from a UK website a more expensive box that deliver the upnp bridge and a lot of other things.
Can I run Qobuz (into the NDS) from one of these boxes directly from the Qobuz Ipad app without having to run ROON?

I too am a Mac chap, but felt that RPi should not be beyond my abilities (after all they both run a type Linux operating system I believe). Ok it’s not perfect at the moment but it’s relatively cheap, and allows me to enjoy Roon. I’m sure you could tackle it, and of course there is lot of knowledgeable support on this forum (and others).

As @Camphuw says setting up a Raspberry Pi with a digital output HAT attachment is very easy once you have the parts.

I too use a HiFiBerry one but it’s the DAC and not DIGI, their own HiFiBerryOS makes it all pretty easy to set up.

1 Like

Yes, the dedicated device that just runs the SonoreUPnP Bridge only seems to be available from Small Green Computer (I think they have free shipping at present).
If you want to buy from Sonore’s UK Distributor, you can chose from the microRendu, ultraRendu, opticRendu as NAA devices that will also run the SonoreUPnP Bridge.
Alternatively you can use the SonicTransporter products from Small Green Computer, which also provide the capability to run the Roon Core and the SonoreUPnP Bridge on one dedicated Bridge.
I also think Martin’s product from Vortexbox, which also run the same OS as the Sonic Transporters, can run the SonoreUPnP Bridge.

No, the UPnP Bridge solution is to allow integration with Roon, to allow the NDS to operate as an Endpoint, and process a content stream from the Roon Core and into the NDS through the UPnP (Ethernet) input.

If you want to do some from the QoBuz iPad app, then you need an AirPlay type solution.
I have no experience of this connection method, but I don’t believe it provides a high-quality feed to the Network Player. Maybe with AirPlay2 you can do better - but I don’t know.

I just know that I have a better Tidal integration and Qobuz integration with Roon, and can include my NDS as an endpoint - I have been using Roon since 2015 and the Beta program and then since launch and then with the SonoreUPnP solution for nearly the last 2-years without issue.

1 Like

Airplay still 44.1. :-/

I think Simon is correct here. The UK Audiostore vortexbox products (including the Prestige) use a Linux based OS called Nova which is a licensed derivative of the SMG modular OS used in the Sonic Transporters. I believe Antipodes use the same system but much higher-end products, though not identical to Nova.

1 Like

So. To try Qobuz, for now, with my NDS, I’ve installed the new Audirvana that can stream in the last release even to DLNA.

But I’ve experienced something absurd:

My Music Library is on a NAS SYNOLOGY
My Streamer is a Naim NDS as you know.
1/ If I stream Music using the Naim APP, from the Synology to the Naim NDS, or using the SYNOLOGY Audio Station App, there’s no difference at all. I’ve made few test about it

2/ if I stream Music using Audirvana, the sound is slightly different, Less Natural.
Less smooth

it’s non sense on a technical point of view but this is what happened to me.

Any thoughts?

Sorry, I can’t help. I don’t use a Naim front end.

Burn him they shout :joy:

So is Audirvana running on your PC/Mac?

It has been found that the environment in which the Applications used to run to serve the Audio equipment matter.
The less noisy the environment the better the SQ.

Running the server applications on a PC/iMac/MacBook or NAS are generally worst than running on a dedicated or even optimized hardware/software environment.

I think that this is normal if the sound pass by the app. In this case it shouldn’t :disappointed:

Like that I’m even more curios about Roon

Yes @Bigboy (made me giggle when I just typed that!) , I’m in the UK and bought my UPnP Bridge from the US option @simon.pepper mentions.

Very good service, despatched and arrived very quickly, just bear in mind you do have to pay import duty when it arrives in the UK (just so you aren’t surprised when you get the e mail from the courier). I can’t remember the exact amount, I can check back in my files if you’re interested to know.

Please check @ChrisH

OK @Orpheus, just checked.
I bought the UPnP Bridge for the same price as it is today (obviously converted to sterling at the going rate on the date of purchase) , shipping was done by DHL, and the import duties, customs clearances etc came to £46.50.

I just want to say this for clarity in case anyone may have missed it, but you do need a Roon Core in your system too (can run on PC, laptop, Roon Nucleus, Innuos - in my case, one of the options Simon Pepper talks about earlier, etc) , not just the UPnP Bridge. I think its been talked about in enough threads but just thought I should mention it.

Hope this helps, good luck!

1 Like

indeed.

All great feedback so I’m very tempted to order this little bridge, just need to install Roon Core on one of my pc first.