FINAL VOTE: UPNP BRIDGE FOR NDS. YES or NO?

All very straightforward from the Roonlabs site, there is an install that behaves as a Core+Remote, as well as just a Remote. It is easy to setup too, have done it for a number of different installations - it just needs the location of your music files.
It is then quite straightforward to export and migrate the database Roon builds to a dedicated hardware device, which can run 24/7 without screen/keyboard, and provides better SQ (lower noise environment) and consumes less energy (smaller footprint headless server).

1 Like

Thanks SP, is it possible to install the Roon core on a Qnap server rather than on a pc?

A reasonably powerful NAS is quite capable of running Roon, although an entry level QBAP or Synology wouldn’t be up to it. Roon have plenty of info on their Knowledge Base about system requirements.
Also bear in mind that Roon software really needs to run on an SSD, although a HDD is fine for music storage.

1 Like

You can, but it can be not ideal, as NAS processors are normally optimized for the job in hand, serving files onto a network, rather than running applications.
See https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

If you can, try it, but if you are going down a Roon path, you will want/need a dedicated processing environment for your Roon Core - there are many posts how it sounds better, as they move from a PC/iMac/MBP to a NUC running ROCK etc. or even a Nucleus.

Good advice apart from last para. I have run Roon Core on a variety of platforms including iMac… and there is no difference in SQ what so ever when RAAT delivered via Ethernet.
The key thing is to run Roon Core on what ever is convenient… I do find the best SQ is disabling the Roon Core DSP function as well… this makes the Roon Core light weight to run CPU wise, although it does need memory for its database.
I have also found using ipv6 makes it slightly more responsive. (Using the IPv4 address mapped into ipv6 format for the Core)

2 Likes

So … I was able to install Roon on the Qnap and can connect to Qobuz … just have to wait for the upnp bridge to be delivered by DHL …

2 Likes

But many of members of the Roon Community have posted findings that once the Roon Core is moved off a general purpose computing platform such as an iMac to a Nucleus or NUC running ROCK they have experienced an uplift in SQ from their systems.
I can’t speak to your experience in your system, nor in mine as I have always run ROCK on a NUC and for the last 18 months with LPS supplies on the NUC and also the NAS that contains my music library (this was more that with 8TB discs and now 10TB, the original switch mode power supplies were failing, something that is now happening on my backup NAS as this has the 8TB discs in).
However I can share the experiences of many listeners who posted to the Roon Community.

I found that using 8.8.4.4 as the DNS server on the Core was faster than the DNS servers my ISP provides, it improved the search response time, as Roon searches the internet for additional hits from Tidal and Qobuz, as well as the metadata.

It does sound like something is not quite right with your ISP, or your broadband router config. You will normally have a local DNS which is your router for local address resolution, and your broadband router should then talk to your ISP DNS(s) which will be in your ISP network/domain which will be a one or two hops, which will typically a lot quicker than a DNS elsewhere on the internet which may be many more hops.
Clearly if your ISP has an issue then using a general DNS will be the next best thing, but not ideal.
However the DNS should only be used occasionally to resolve a name, and then the value should be cached… even then that initial resolution time should be only be a few 10’s of mS.

Edit… I am with BT… and I have just queried the BT DNS A records for Qobuz.com, and the response time was 18.2mS with a TTL of 60…
That is more than quick enough with a useful cache value, and two records are returned.

I used namebench to run a perf benchmark on available DNS providers - surprised you’ve not come across it, dates back to 2010, code is at https://code.google.com/archive/p/namebench/

Obviously the performance is relative to the source address… check your TTL and response times… if your ISP is much slower than what I show you may want to query with your ISP or change ISP… I am sure you pay for what you get with ISPs.

I have tried your DNS ipv4 address (8.8.4.4) and it comes in 31.5mS with a TTL of 59 for returning the two A records for Qobuz.com, so that is approx 50% slower than using BT’s network DNS. (Recursive server)

Coming back to the origin of my thread.

For now, to experience Qobuz/Tidal (1) and Roon (2)I’ve installed Assetupnp and Bubbleupnp on Synology server and Roon on my laptop connecting via Spdif to the NDS

1. Qobuz can be played easily through the Linn App. It’s a shame that could not be possible to use It even In the Naim app with my NDS.
    At the end it’s just software.
    Please :-/

Everything through Ethernet.

In SQ Tidal and Qobuz seems quite the same With my Hifi System ( NDS/555ps - 252/XPS - 250.2 / Kharma 3.2) in my Room.

Any thoughts about it?

1. I quite like the Roon interface and experience BUT after few listening session I do not understand if I like its SQ that it’s different in an A/B comparison Roon/Naim app: from tracks played from my server to once streamed via Tidal.

Do you think that’s becouse I use the dig Out of my Mac? If I go through SonoreUpnp Bridge, using the NDS as streamer everything should the same?

Please note that I’ve set up with fixed volume and all DSP disabled

Has someone made some tests about it?

Last note about my past experience with Audinirvana used as a streaming App.
Via Wi-Fi it sounded awful.
via Ethernet exactly as the Naim App.

Cheers

1 Like

Orpheus,

I can’t respond to all that. I don’t use Qobuz, neither Tidal. Perhaps Tidal 1 month per year to discover some albums.

I am curious on your system using Kharma 3.2. I love these speakers and heard them with Lamm, another tube amps ( Canadian brand), and Ayre.
It’s the first time I see them with Naim.
How is the sound, association?

Using a bridge (Lms-to-upnp) I did a lot of listening tests comparing Asset via UPNP to Roon and I couldn’t detect any difference.

I suspect that the reason you are hearing a difference is due to the connection method from your computer to the NDS.

Actually there were Geoff In this forum, if I’m not wrong that had it. But was in the old forum and at least 6 years ago

I love them.
My Naim dealer, when installed in my home the DPS3 turntable said that was the first time he could listened them as there could.

I’ve heard them with the Lamm too.
Amazing

1 Like

Thnx @trickydickie
Any others

Sorry to bother you but, as a Naimeer since ages, that’s the sound I want.
:blush:

About 95% the same if streaming pcm via UPnP.
On the older streamers differences in server inter frame timing consistency could be noticeable in terms of SQ… so depending on setup either the Roon bridge or UPnP media server could sound preferable.

If you have a large library you will struggle with low end CPUs regardless of using DSP or not. They do have a minimum spec for a reason and the better CPU the better user experience you get. Also the lower CPU on Nas can limit how many endpoints you serve, not a problem if your only serving one, but if you want multiroom (one of Roons strengths ) it may well struggle.

1 Like

I would say spdif on the mac is not the best solution for any music server output and why you hear a difference.

1 Like

Possibly if very low powered. I have found its memory that is key.

Really ?
Can you better explain?
Thank you!