Finally, finally, finally…………………

Id agree with that. My ndx2 took a step change going from xpsdr to 555dr.

2 Likes

First and last rule of hifi LEAVE WELL ALONE!

1 Like

When I started ripping CDs I bought a Unitiserve. Expensive, and a bit of a copout compared to DBPA perhaps, but 10 years later it still works well, and it certainly took the pain out of the initial task of ripping hundreds of CDs.
The downside is that the US lacks key features in the way it handles metadata in both ripping and serving, such as being incapable of handling some CD box sets, and totally incapable of providing basic metadata fields required to catalogue classical music.
The Core software was essentially ported straight from the US WindowsXP to its Linux based OS, with all of its quirks. Staggeringly, half a dozen or so key functions available in the US were removed, making the Core by far the most primitive ripper/server you will ever come across.
How much of a problem that is for you will depend largely on your own preferences. If you have a classical collection, it’s rubbish. If you’re particular about curating you collection so that you can search by artist, genre, composer etc it’s really rubbish. If you’re a bit more laid back about the whole metadata thing, it’s not so bad.
I borrowed one from my dealer for a couple of weeks and was glad to see the back of it.

1 Like

You can read my thoughts as a Core owner here

1 Like

@IainO @ChrisSU - thanks guys!