Fingerprinting for entering Europe

I’ve been fingerprint and face scanned travelling within the Far East for the past 20 years. It’s not fun but it’s also not optional. You can stay home I suppose.

My only issue was about a decade ago, I had a skin issue that resulted in the loss of fingerprints for a couple years. But I still had to travel on business. Immigration took forever.

The best you can do is take hand sanitser for after using the scanner. Thousands of people from everyone all touching the same scanner. Grosses me out.

1 Like

It’s the fickle finger of fate…

Interesting. I wonder how that is going to work for a car full of passengers on/off a car ferry…

The police have taken my fingerprints many times, I don’t see it as an issue.

Our eldest son has all the doors on his house linked with fingerprints and it works fine.

Indeed, in someways it’s no different to having your picture taken for a passport and embedded in the microchip of a standard ePassport.
I think the concern is more about the logistics and delay of taking the finger prints. Entering the US it’s usually fairly quick but not seamless… and just occasionally there can be horrendous queues at airports going through pass port control… I assume because of system issues.

We’ve been lucky in about 7 or 8 visits to the States had no problems with entry. Australia and the US do have a simple system that seems to work.

I wonder how it will work with people having dual nationality, neither country in EU. Presumably identifies them against the first passport they use, and ends the potential to use one passport for up to 90 days in Schengen area on one, leave and re-enter on the other for another up to 90 days.

Know someone who had been doing this (using British and Irish passports) to stay longer in Turkey. She got caught. They figured it out based on her car registration. There’s a fine but it’s too small to be a deterrent.

Willy.

It was never an issue for me travelling in Asia where I had two passports until I renounced citizenship a few years back. I’m sure it’s all worked out ahead of time for the EU.

It will be biometrics and payment for the ETIAS travel authorisation visa costing €7.

Being a frequent Shuttle traveller it will be interesting to see how all this works. Oh the joy of days when I would rock up, waved through and on the train then 35 minutes and waved through the other side.

Now increased security checks and then out of the car to provide biometrics might make the journey a little longer. Probably not much fun if you are a lorry driver bringing needed stuff to the UK.

There are worse things. Last July I flew into Frankfurt. I got full on surgical glove body searched in front of hundreds of people - not behind a modesty screen.

If I had to choose which was more an affront, fingerprinting or having a stranger put their hands in my briefs in public, one of those two doesn’t even come close.

1 Like

Yes, why did the UK leave the EU, it will only get more complicated for everyone and above all… How are we now going to find used 500 systems at good prices!? I blame all the Brits! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Apparently some of us wanted to “take back control”. Anyway I mustn’t get into politics!

3 Likes

Yeah, I know, just kidding :slightly_smiling_face:

Did they ask, “where are your papers?”. :no_mouth:

Seriously that is disgusting what happened to you.

I once flew to Turin via Frankfurt, no body search but fortunately I was soon in Italy.

1 Like

And just look around you at the benefits that brought.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.