First turntable

Surely, an Akurate-level LP12 is not made worse by the fact that one could spend money on it and make it better. How can an option have a negative value?

On VFM when new, I can’t argue that P8 & P10 beat LP12 - didn’t mean to suggest otherwise.

3 Likes

There’s no point in arguing about upgrades to turntables when the OP has already ‘upgraded’ his source with a power supply.

Said source now costs just south of £10,000. For a turntable equivalent we’re not far short of Naim’s own product - what was it called?

I would suggest acquiring a Michell Gyro SE second hand. It is a fantastic reference turntable ! I have paired it with a Dynavector DV-20x2 cartridge. The sound is amazing :star_struck:

1 Like

It’s not really a negative value. But for me it is, because I would be tempted to upgrade it regularly. So not good for peace of mind.
But for others it is a positive value, as they will enjoy tuning it indefinitely.

Surely all the more reason to buy an LP12 if you want to picture both as moving targets, something upgrading NDX2 with PS might suggest?

If he gets an Akurate level LP12 (plus Superline) now, it should be at least as good as the streamer (vinyl-permitting), but what if he swaps the XPS for the 555PSDR? That might put the streamer ahead again, which one can mind or not…

If he also wants to upgrade LP later, to keep pace, he can swap for better arm/ cartridge/ sub-chassis/ PS for Superline without visually changing much. How would one do a next-step upgrade to a P8 or P10?

@frenchrooster might argue, tongue in cheek or not, that having upgrade paths makes a product less attractive, but it’s not a universal view.

As for adding a limited-edition deck to the dozen or so already suggested to someone who asked about only two, please don’t!

2 Likes

No, I didn’t try either of the tests you mentioned in your second para, only the Rega on Isoblue and its little bracket.

The results might have been interesting, but you don’t have to organise your life or hi-fi around doing tests for us!

3 Likes

I have an LP12 on a four level (“phase four”) Mana shelf. Because the uprights don’t align with the wall studs I made a backing plate out of a couple of solid oak boards, which have the additional advantage of reducing downward leverage by increasing the distance between the upper and lower fixings. It’s very secure, and it’s quite difficult to get the stylus to respond to footfall (I’ve tried).

2 Likes

Thinking about all this, it’s just occurred to me that the Rega bracket only secured to the wall at the top, with the bottom bolts simply resting on the wall and being used for levelling. In all shelves it’s the top fixings that count.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.