Fish and Chips

If you are talking about The Aldenurgh Fish and Chip Shop at 226 High Street, then that is one of the ones I am referring to… it’s good and is a honey pot for the tourists and the DFLs, but no better than many in the region in my opinion… it’s just in a nice setting.
in fact I would say one of the best Fish and Chip shops in the area is J’s Traditional Fish and Chips at Crown Point, Martlesham… very very popular with local folk, sometimes best to phone ahead at busy times if you don’t want to queue for too long… they are also well wrapped up to keep hot if travelling especially, or you can sit down and enjoy your supper in the shop.
A plate of J’s washed down with a pint of Earl Soham Victoria doesn’t get much more east Suffolk than that :grinning:

2 Likes

My old folks (well just my Mum now) live in a little Norfolk coastal village with a Fish and Chip shop which i’ve not found bettered. We’ve been using it for over 40 years now. Lovely fresh fish, delicious chips and rather generous portions. Just gorgeous. We’re heading up next week for a few days so we’ll be looking forward to a Fish and Chip dinner one night whilst we are there.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Aldeburgh, they must have changed hands as they were very good.

I am not aware of it changing hands, but yes it is still good.

Simon, I’m a bit of a fish and chip addict. I’ll have to try your local chippy next time I’m that way.

Hi, if you are talking J’s, it’s not so local, but if coming up the A12, then it’s a good stop off.

Other fish and chip shops we regularly use, Rumbles in Framlingham, and supposedly Ed Sheeran’s favourite chippy, but we have never seen him there, can be a bit variable, but convenient for us, and great portion sizes, and the Flaming Fryer in Wickham Market… recently changed hands and improved, in fact it was particularly good on Friday!.. but J’s is my favourite :grinning:

1 Like

Quite agree, though I’m from the salt and water contingent. As soon as I see that fluorescent green, rather than the rich pastel colour of the real thing, my heart sinks.

What I also miss a great deal from up north are the potato and fish scallops. Sheer genius. And the bags of scraps.

For those not in the know “scallops” are slices across the full length or width of the potato, fried in batter, while “fish scallops” are two potato slices sandwiching a piece of fish, dipped in batter and fried.

They serve both of them, with mushy peas, pickled eggs and pickled onions, with scraps on top, at the check-in for heaven.

1 Like

A recent drive to Wells-next-the-sea in Norfolk had us in Plattens for lunch. Has won many awards and has a nice area to eat in that isn’t the usual white tile, plastic table and chair job.
Doesn’t leave much change from £25 for two with all the trimmings. Not quite as picturesque as some coastal towns along the east. Although there’s a lovely coastal walk to build up an appetite or walk it off.

The Pilot Inn on the beach at Lydd-on-Sea (Dungeness)
Top end fish & chips (& other food), haddock, cod, place, skate & huss
A bit off the beaten track as in Dungeness is a road to nowhere, miles & miles of flat pebbles & a beach that gets bigger every year, the stark vast openness of the beach is very different. Nearby is Romney Marsh & the quaint narrow streets & folklore of Rye, its a fascinating little corner of England.

4 Likes

Totally agree, don’t know how you do mushy peas up north or down south, but over here in the east we appear to have some lovely recipes… get along to the annual Peasenhall Pea Festival in Suffolk where you should see some dishes on offer…

2 Likes

Been to The Pilot a few times and the fish and chips are good, but still not as good as Maggies in Hastings Old Town :wink:

Yes indeed, Maggies is a bit special, only problem is the evening opening hours. 18:00 to 20:00 on Fridays & Saturdays only.

Yikes. I haven’t been to the Pilot Inn for a while. Not since a very poor F&C there some years back rather put me off ever going back. However, not more than 100 yards down the road is the pop-up Dungeness snack shack at the Dungeness fish hut. So long as you avoid going at the weekend (it gets very busy) then I can recommend this. Excellent fish & chips that you can eat sat right on the shingle, although my favourites are the delicious crab or lobster wraps.

Sadly The Kettle O’fish in Rye also served one of the worst fish and chips I’ve had - avoid.

1 Like

Now that sounds interesting. I have never been to Dungeness, we must pay it a visit…

You must indeed! Also well worth taking a look at the Sound Mirrors at Denge on your way, if that’s of interest to you.

3 Likes

Kevster, Regarding the fish and chip shop in Granville Island market, I don’t think it’s there anymore but I’ll check next time I’m there. I drive past every day to and from work. Go Fish is on the sea wall next to Granville Island. Their fish and chips is fab.

2 Likes

Yes, excellent lobster & crab, I was not aware they did full fat F&C’s
Its literally on the beach close to the end of the peninsular, problem is that it is all outside & very weather dependant, last time I was there at the RSBP reserve it was windy & we ate in the car.
I’m back again in the area in 2 weeks so will give it a go if the sun shines.

1 Like

Cool - thanks. And welcome to the forum!

Every time I dip into this thread my mouth starts watering :smiley:

3 Likes

All this talk of fish and chip restaurants… pah !!

The best fish and chips can only come from a standard take-away fish and chip shop. Newspaper is optional - plastic trays acceptable. They must be liberally doused in salt and vinegar, and most importantly eaten WITH THE FINGERS …:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Gor blimey, don’t let me read anything about knives and forks… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: