Fish and Chips

Absolutely agreed, Wugged_Woy. Forks & Knifes were imposed on us by the French!

2 Likes

Absolutely agree on the fingers, but vinegar on fish and chips? No! Keep it for the pickled eggs and onions! Well, maybe sometimes. But only on the chips!

1 Like

Ah … another person who doesn’t subscribe to the “vinegar on fish 'n chips” mantra.

I thought it was only me! :clap:

1 Like

Does it have to be fish, or are we allowed a good old fashioned North Western meat & potato pie, or a meat pudding?

I’ll see your meat and potato pie and raise you a Scottish black pudding supper. Food of the gods.

pudding

3 Likes

Well, eh … the Fish stands for something I guess.

It reminds me of my sister who made vegetarian ‘Chili con Carne’ and replaced the Chili by normal peppers. We still tease her with her ‘non Chili non Carne’.

1 Like

Nae half measures here, ye ken … this is the very chap!

Haggis supper … oh, my Jock fine dining heritage. :joy:

4 Likes

It is certainly a close run thing between a pudding supper and a haggis supper.

1 Like

Meat and potato pie / North Western?

Ah, Bolton. :wink:

Back in 2002, I was up in Edinburgh for a long weekend in order to attend a wedding. One of the Scots at the party was raving about a “local delicacy” - a deep fried steak and kidney pie, available at a nearby chippy.

Out of curiosity, I tried it. It was absolutely disgusting - a Pukka pie (or similar) covered in batter and deep fried. It was a claggy, soggy mess with lukewarm meat and soggy pastry.

Keep 'em coming, chaps … nae menshun yet ay the deep fried Mars bar! :joy:

Don’t you mean:

A hand prepared organic milk and specially milled flour encasement, cooked to perfection with high heat, enwrapping the delicate flavours of thick English prepared milk chocolate (Slough!), within which sits layers of deliciously sweet nougat and toffee caramel - served with clotted cream ice cream as an option.

Gotta be a winner on MasterChef, Scottish edition.

…no wonder Gordon Ramsay’s restaurant in Glasgow only lasted 3 years.

1 Like

I couldn’t have put it better myself … fine dining, indeed. :joy:

Not enough swearing? :slight_smile:

1 Like

In Glasgow pies get put in the deep fat fryer but I’ve never heard of them being battered first. Then again, they’re a funny lot in Edinburgh. Salt and sauce for goodness sake.

1 Like

Rochdale (my home town), Bolton, Oldham, Bury…matters not, all as good!

1 Like

To my utter surprise - really rather good!

1 Like

Sorry Richard, a step too far for me … and I’m from Glasgow!:face_vomiting:

If we’re talking pies, then Wigan is probably the place - the locals are not known as pie-eaters for nothing.

1 Like

That’s quite alright Dave. I was persuaded by my daughter to try the fabled deep fried Mars bar some years back. She didn’t like it, but I did, so I got hers as well, which was a result.

However, I should say that I have not eaten another one since then, which might perhaps explain why I am still here to tell the tale…