Fish farming ... a new direction?

I’m not a fan of conventional fish farming; however, this morning I came across an interesting project in Iceland. On the face of it its an improvement on traditional fish farming where water is a flow through system rather than being recycled. It may have potential, and I will be trying the char tomorrow.

1 Like

Well - I was not impressed with the smoked char - probably an issue with the smoking rather than the taste of the fish. Next time I’ll try a non-smoked version of char/salmon, or the gravlax. The jury is still out.

I am just not a fan of farmed fish though I’m glad to hear that they are trying to design better ways to do it. I am having a more difficult time lately finding wild caught fish. We get some Cod and Rainbow Trout at a local grocery store and one of our local fish n chip shops serves wild caught Halibut and Haddock exclusively.

1 Like

I’m with you on farmed fish.
With wild stocks falling fish farming must improve its environmental credentials - as does land farming.

2 Likes

I was watching last week people trying to prevent farmed Salmon climbing the rivers in Iceland to spawn with wild stocks. They had lost over 100, 000 farmed Salmon of breeding age……they will dilute the genetic pool if allowed to spawn.

2 Likes

I prefer wild caught fish, but in the interests of sustainability I wholeheartedly support farming.

1 Like

Indeed. We should eat them before they’re all gone.

3 Likes

Are you being sarcastic?

Sort-of. We’re fishing the oceans to near-depletion. Climate change will finish it off. I see no way out. Fish farming potentially offers the promise of sustainable production, but it has been so tarnished in reputation (and not without reason) that it is unlikely to ever succeed. Like nuclear power, successful and safe technologies will be burdened with disproportionate barriers.

2 Likes

I agree entirely with the difficult issues you raise. I actually can’t tell the difference taste-wise between farmed or wild, I just don’t think what they feed the farmed fish is good for us. If they would do the whole process sustainably, and in a way that is healthy for the fish and healthy for us to eat them, I’d be happy to pay more for fish to eat. Btw, that was a much more productive post, and thanks for being informative.
I believe the difficulty tho is that most consumers just always go for the lowest price, so the producers have to provide fish at low prices and farm them accordingly.
Mais, c’est la vie …

I have no concerns regarding whether-or-not farmed fish is safe to eat, but there is evidence that the current farming practices may be damaging wild fish stocks (which is ironic, given that farming is likely the only way to save them). It’s very complex, and there is likely to be exaggerations if not downright lies from both the proponents and opponents of fish farming. Of concern is the effect of the food chain for fish caused by the harvesting of food for the fish farms. They fish for food pretty far back up the chain, including krill, which form a large part of the “base” of the food chain for a lot of ocean life.

1 Like

Intersting. It doesn’t sound as if it is really possible to provide the billions of fish eaters with fish, in an ecologically sustainable way. From what I had read, farmed fish don’t have a good balance of omega 3 and 6 as wild fish. I think wild fish have twice as much omega 3 to omega 6 which is a good thing.
I suppose the farmed fish isn’t exactly bad for you, it’s just not as good for you.
Either way, I’ll still buy the odd bit of wild caught whatever when it’s available until they sort out the farming process which it sounds like they are trying to do if the OP is correct.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.