Fishing - the thread for angling

Wise words here but for a beginner maybe just go for a single rod and real to keep costs down.

Might even be worth getting a short 9m pole and fishing a local commercial to learn the ropes re playing fish, fish handling etc… Although the joy of carping is that everything is big so it’s easy to tie hairs, line and hooks. Athough pulling out 100lb of F1’s isn’t comparable to Carping and having one fish over 24hrs.

YouTube is your friend for an introduction to carping. I’m a Barbel angler but typically go for Carp on the local canals (feeder rod) and target smaller fish on commercials (pole) in the closed season. Roll on June 16th.

1 Like

The ‘closed season’ which existed primarily to allow fish to breed without anglers’ disturbance was abolished by the EA for stillwaters and canals some years ago. It is now at the discretion of the riparian landowner.
Rivers still have a close season in place from 14th March until 16th June.

1 Like

Great, thanks for clarifying that.

Yes I’ve used them for years, great bait, reasonable prices and first class service what more could an angler want.

1 Like

…more Barbel :slight_smile:

1 Like

Game fisheries around Salisbury open on 1st April

Apologies. My response to Alley Cat related to his query specifically on the coarse fishing season. :fishing_pole_and_fish:
I’m afraid I don’t know much about the seasons that apply to the Fluff Chuckers. :rofl:

3 Likes

As a fly fisher…never heard that one, very funny👍

1 Like

Now that is funny…

First overnighter at my new syndicate tonight at St Ives
A cell boilie on one rod a tiger on the next and sweet corn in the third
Fingers crossed
Think it’s meant to get chilly tonight

Lyndon

Another blank at St Ives this weekend
Pretty much nothing has been out, still far too cold, some nights close to zero, it’s global warming I suppose :upside_down_face:
It’s blowing a hooligan out there tonight
Gonna try Zig rigs next weekend

Lyndon

this is why us southern softie fly fishers only do it in the summer months…LOL

enjoy!

1 Like

Morning at local fishery in windy conditions… couple of carp, three roach and golden Rudd bagged on sweetcorn

4 Likes

Been fishing since I can remember…

Love carp fishing, probably my favourite. But these things are awesome!

3 Likes

5 Likes

I see you baby, shakin’ that bass…

I’ll get me coat.

2 Likes

holy cow!!! id be panicked hauling that up!!

1 Like

Last drop of the day…also the smallest live bait in the tank

5 Likes

First visit to a new venue this morning which apparently holds a good head of decent sized Tench which were my preferred target.
Only one bite which resulted in this 9lb 8oz Bream

Not a great fan of the old dustbin lid but when they get to this size what’s to complain about

5 Likes

I have no idea what it is, looks the stuff of horror movies.