Flapjack and cappuccino!

Debs, What is it with you and derelict buildings?! :wink:

C.

To start with they make fascinating photos!
Interesting how after abandonment, decay takes hold, and to see nature amazingly taking back over.

I have a fondness for old and relatively ordinary dwelling architecture, especially if it’s of a period and style that reflects something beautiful within the design.

If a property falls into deraliction, it looks so sad by the roadside, but the remains remain an opportunity to refurbish sympathetically in keeping the originals features that hold it’s interest but also takin the opportunity to install modern innovative improvements, it certainly triggers my imagination, and let’s be honest, so many brand new buildings these days are extremely bland and totally boring to look at, and bodged-built down on cost to maximise profits.

I dunno but half expect the old Hare & Hounds to get demolished :neutral_face:

1 Like

Thank you. Just so long as you know that I was teasing you!

I can only express my disdain with an appropriate picture

1 Like

Eeeek!

Yes i struggled a bit against that Westerly on the way home yesterday.

A nice Condor, Clive.
What’s the frame tubing?
How old is it?
Looks like carbon-fibre folks : )

1 Like

Cats-eyes computer and a Garmin? Edge 810??

Thanks, Debs.

A Condor Acciaio - Italian for steel. So Italian-made steel tubing, carbon forks and Campag Athena frame set. Bought it in early 2015.

And yes, Svetty - Cat Eye computer and Garmin Touring plus. I had the Cat Eye first and keep it going with the Garmin for complementary displays. They are very close in terms of speed, etc.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane. Sorry for the slight thread detour but I thought you’d be interested in this:

Meet On The Ledge are a Warwickshire folk-rock band that I go to see play regularly - one of their most popular songs is about the Mary Stanford of Rye story. In the pre-song gig banter they tell about the subsequent fund raising they did for the RNLI, even though most of their gigs are played about as far from the sea as possible. I haven’t watched the YouTube clip but it’s a great song.
1 Like

Thanks Gavin, I hadn’t come across either the song or the band before.

Debs

Today’s breezy blast involved no abandoned buildings but a bit of industrial heritage.

Incidentally the tubeless setup was a doddle-the tyres snapping in nicely on the first attempt. Didn’t even need a CO2 blast to get it done. Road tyres considerably fiddlier in my experience.

How do you know when the latex needs re-filling by the way? With my roads tyres they last a good ‘season’ and I just start from scratch after about 6-12/12.

Bruce

2 Likes

Checking if you need latex top up - take the wheels off, let them settle for a couple of minutes, then pick them up and give them a gentle shake. If you hear some sloshing sounds you should be good.

To get an idea of what a full dose sounds like, do the shaking test straight after a refill. You’ll get used to what it sounds like when a refill is needed.

Thanks Graeme

I am sure much of the time the road tyres are ‘dry’ using that test, but it still seems to work.

Bruce

If they sound dry, then they are dry. They will stay inflated, but if you get a puncture, they probably won’t seal and you’ll be walking home. I would top them up ASAP.

It depends on the sealant. Often with - road at least - the sealant can separate. Hence you can get a sloshing sound but they won’t seal as the latex has come out of solution.

Thursday: a trip to Bristol to pick up my brand spanking new wheels:

Very pleased with the wheel components and super build quality, a nice little outfit of wheel builders to deal with.

With the windy wet weather drying out on Friday afternoon i had a window of opportunity to try out the new wheels. Just a 20 mile ride, my first experience on tubeless tyres around a local hilly familiar course which passed at similar effort, speed and times, bike handling felt different, some vagueness and tyre road noise albeit definitely more comfortable… however there is a problem. I noticed the tyres aren’t holding pressure, soft after 12 hours, flat after 24.

But i sussed out what is wrong, my man in Bristol has been informed and is on the case, will be sending out a courier to collect wheels, which will go back to Bristol to be fixed.

Can anyone spot the [ non ] deliberate mistake in this picture?

1 Like

Yesterday - view of Lisbon over the river

4 Likes

I’m already missing the short-sleeve jersey and shorts weather here in the UK,
perhaps in six months time it will be back here again :cold_face:

2 Likes

Meanwhile today, a Sunday morning delivery has arrived from Wiggle:

I found out yesterday my faithful old Park Tool FR-5 (cassette lock ring tool) is too short to fit properly over modern wider axles, and that Park Tool have superseded it with a FR-5.2 which now include two types for quick release and Thru axles. So i bought one of each, and also a BBT-69.2 (outer bottom bracket tool) which doubles as a 16 notch 44mm lock ring tool for the rear rotor.
Took the opportunity to include the purchase of a 10-60 Nm Torque Wrench, i already have the smaller 2-14 Nm type.

Was also going to invest in a valve core remover tool, but Wiggle are presently out of stock.

3 Likes

Always wanted the big torque wrench, bu have nothing on my bikes that need that much tightening. Maybe one day. :thinking:

Here’s my assortment of valve core removal tools

The Park Tools and Notubes ones are for my workshop, the two small ones live in my Camelbak for trail use with two spare valves, and have rescued me a couple of times.

1 Like