Flavour of sound

When you say “doesn’t do streaming reliably“, can you clarify? It’s possible to use qobuz etc with the unitiqute, you might not need to replace it. The simplest solution might be adding a streamer up front eg nad cs1, or there are alternatives.

Thank you for the replies so far.

Just to add to my original post. I am not in anyway trying to suggest that the Atom is somehow sub par. It has many wonderful reviews and I know many people are enjoying it. I can hear that it’s a quality piece of kit. It’s just that I miss something that the unitiQute does. Is it warmth or weight? I’m not sure.

Davo

Is the Atom new? If so it will need to be run for a while before it sounds at its best. Even a used one will benefit after its been sat unused.
Keep the Atom running for a few days, and enable Server mode to keep it warmed up when in standby. If you still don’t like it after a couple of weeks, try something else.

Thanks Robert_h. A few months back I put a post up called Fault or Foible which explains the issues with the qute. Essentially it does tidal ok but comms between the iPad app and qute fail very regularly. I have explored the non naim front end idea but I have decided that I’d like to stay with all naim if possible. The separates route seems the best option if it can be done.

Davo

Thanks ChrisSU. I’ve had the Atom in service for a few months now and it’s well and truly run in I think. Please believe me I have tried to love the machine and I can see/hear it’s very good but not the sound I’m after. It sounds thinner, more forward, more lightweight than I’m used to. I’m not saying that those traits are wrong but just that I want the warmth or richness back. Perhaps a separates system built upon naim’s latest streaming platform might fit the bill.

Davo

Short story: network issues though not resolved. What’s creating your WiFi network?

Thanks for the advice so far.

The qute is wired into the network as was the Atom while I had it running. The Atom was perfectly stable but alas the Qute is not. Having examined this extensively, I have concluded that the issue is not with the network but the Qute. Being old tech in terms of streaming, I think now is the time for it to be replaced. Perhaps at a later date, I might use it as an amp connected to an external streamer for the office but right now I’m interested in replacement options. Given that I have tried the Atom for enough time for it and my ears to be fully adjusted, I feel confident that separates are the way to go.

All the best

Davo

I’d first try a ND5xs2 into the UniQute to see if it’s the UniQute’s amp section that is what you like.

If this is the case I’d be looking at a s/h SuperNait from the same era (SuperNait 2 I think).

.sjb

Thank you sjb.

I’m pretty certain the ND5 XS2 is the only viable option given budget constraints and my wish to keep it naim. I’ve never actually listened to any of the supernaits but they certainly look the part.
I have a slot booked in for Tuesday at a dealer in Devon who will let me listen to a few combinations and compare to the Atom and Qute. I hope I don’t end up with information overload with too many variables in play! Anyway an exciting prospect.

In the mean time, I feel an extensive internet search for supernaits coming on!

Davo

I really think your network is the issue. The old streamers like the Unitiqute are totally stable when connected by Ethernet cable. That’s what you should look at.

2 Likes

Agreed, mine works perfectly. I’ve always used it wired to the network, and running upnp it’s faultless. It might not natively support qobuz (which didn’t exist when the uq was released) but tidal/spotify are both built in.

Hi @Davo. You’re not alone in your preference for the UQ vs the Atom. I think there’s a thread on it somewhere.

As for your suggested alternative amps to go with ND5XS2, the amp section of the Atom is based on the Nait 5si so I’m not sure that would change the sound signature in the direction you want. More generally, ‘warm’ and ‘rich’ are not the first words I would use to describe the sound of Naim’s recent boxes I’ve heard.

For an offbeat suggestion in the Naim family you might want to consider the original SuperNait. It has a rather darker sound than recent gear that might just give you what you’re looking for. They’re pretty cheap these days, but you’ll probably need to budget for a service.

Enjoy your audition.

Roger

4 Likes

Perfect email Roger. I was thinking the same reading this topic and then you perfectly wrote your post.

Thank you Peakman.

I’ve been thinking about the difference in sound between the Qute and Atom and I’ve used term like rich and warm when describing what it is I’m looking for or indeed what I hear in the Qute. Perhaps if not better but another way to describe would be that the Qute seems to make the music appear from an inky black background which hangs between the speakers. I get a sense that the speakers disappear. There is a flow to the music and the only way I can describe it is to say it sounds analogue and organic. It’s not especially detailed or airy but my goodness does it get to the heart of the music.
The Atom on the other hand, again to my ears, is very detailed an forward sounding and this is at the expense of cohesion. Notes, be they high or low frequency start and stop brilliantly. It times like a metronome but somehow misses the flow. It sounds hard and perhaps digital to my ears.

Anyway, please excuse my random thoughts today. Perhaps they make little sense.

Davo

Of all the naim kit I owned I think the unitiqute 2 was probably my favourite piece of kit and the one that offered best vfm so I’m not surprised you like it’s sound. When I sold mine I replaced it with a supernate 2 which fitted in well so that might be an option for you but my recommendation would be to find a good dealer who will let you try kit at home before you buy anything, although that won’t help with used kit

Hi All,

Just a quick update.

I think the last time I posted here, I had arranged to go and listen to a ND5 XS2/Nait XS3 combo connected to a pair of Neat Motive SX2 speakers and compare it to the Atom connected to the same speakers at a local (100 mile round trip) dealer.

I had a great time comparing the two systems with a playlist I’d put together on TIDAL. Even though I was in an unfamiliar environment I could hear quite clearly that the separates combo had the advantage over the Atom in terms of the richness or warmth of the sound. There seemed to be more body and I thought I could hear a hint of the speakers doing a disappearing act just as I’d enjoyed with my old Unitiqute.

Unfortunately, I was unable to take the combo home for trial on that day in case other potential buyers wanted to have a listen. I was offered the chance to come back to collect one late Saturday for a home demo while the shop was closed over a weekend though and that’s quite understandable but with the help of Google and a slight lack of patience, I developed an alternative plan.

I found an ex demo ND5 XS2 and a used Nait XS 3 and decided to order them. A risky strategy perhaps but I’d liked what I’d heard at the dealers so in my view the risk was minimal. Anyway, both components were shipped by their respective dealers and arrived with me within hours of each other. They are now connected to my Neat Motive SX2’s and after a bit of fettling with speaker positioning, the whole thing is sounding really quite special. For the first few days, I was a little underwhelmed but one final tweak of the speaker placement and everything has locked in to focus. That focussed, holographic stage that the Atom seemed unable to create for me at least is now present and correct much as was the case with the UnitiQute but on a larger scale, especially depth. In short, this is one fine musical sounding little system and I very much doubt I’ll be wishing to change it for something else anytime soon.

I do feel I must defend the quality of the Atom though. It should not be a surprise to me that separate components will likely out perform an all in one system and the Atom really is a fine piece of kit. I think it’s fair to say that it does have a very different tonal character to my old UnitiQute though. Perhaps no better or worse, just different but the purpose of my upgrade was to try and approximate the sound characteristics of my old and unfortunately, unreliable UnitiQute. The Atom did not achieve this but I think the ND5 XS2/Nait XS3 has and improved on it too.

Anyway, if you’ve managed to get this far, thank you for reading.

All the best

Davo

2 Likes

I recently made the same “jump in good faith” to the ND5 XS2 / Nait XS3 combo. Was a bit disappointed the first days, turned out it needed a week to come on song.

Both were ex-demo machines from my dealer so I didn’t expect that. The streamer took longer than the amp. Now both sounding lovely together as you describe.

That is a fantastic and very well balanced system you have there. A pleasure to read through your journey. I ran very similar (albeit with a NAIT XS 2) and thought it was a supremely musical system indeed. Enjoy!:+1:

Thank you for the replies.

I think I have experienced the same with the ND5 XS2 in that it’s taken a bit longer to sound right. To start with I guess it sounded slightly brittle, thin, edgy. It has filled out nicely now and overall ‘balanced’ is a great way to describe the sound of the system. According to one review I read, it can take months before the run in period is complete. I’m not so sure about that as it sounds lovely as it is but I’m more than happy to be proven wrong.

I did briefly look to finding a used Supernait as was suggested on here. It would have to be used realistically for budgetary/justification/matrimonial harmony considerations. Also, I figured if a Supernait is that much more resolving than a Nait XS, I could find myself eyeing up NDX2’s in the future and I’m happy to avoid or at least distance myself from the temptation of further upgrades if at all possible.

I had done as much reading as I could stand trying to understand what, if any differences there are between the XS2 and XS3 and I’m not sure that they were significant enough to choose one over the other. It was just by chance that I found the XS3 but had it been the 2, I would have ordered it just the same. The inclusion of a phono stage is of no interest to me. I like the idea of a turntable and the ritual of preparing a record for play but I am essentially lazy in this regard. Prodding the screen of my iPad with a single digit while operating a glass of Merlot is all the activity I’m interested in when the mood for some music hits me.

All the best

Davo

1 Like

To add to my post above - you have the right speakers for your system. Perfectly balanced. Enjoy the Merlot, which reminds me…

Happy Listening! :wine_glass: