Floorstanders on laminate floor

I think in your situation I would have considered using the Gaia Carpet Discs with isoAcoustic Gaia for the speakers.

1 Like

Another recommendation for Herbies Giant Titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders. I use them under my spiked speakers and rack. Improvement in sound quality and easy to move both speakers and rack if needed.

They also have a 60 day return policy with full refund except for cost of return shipping.

2 Likes

I have a set of those but found them to be incredibly difficult to site and that was on a normal carpet so I dread to think what they’d be like on the sisal! That said I don’t mind trying them.

1 Like

I have had the Gaia Isolators and Gaia Carpet Discs.
Imho I did not think the Gaia’s made that significant difference as to spikes on granite cutting block on carpet.
I found using the carpet discs to be fiddly when trying to line up with the Gaia Isolators. Also, the carpet disc spikes do not penetrate the carpet to a sufficient depth. :frowning:

1 Like

Everybody is fond of Gaias but they are quite costly. I have laminate floors and I replaced the small “ceramic” pads that went with my Tannoys with larger gliders made of steel+hard plastic (similar to the ones shown above by seakayaker) I bought on Amazon at 27 euro/set of 4. The difference was huge. Maybe because the spikes sit more tightly in the steel cone-shaped holes of the new pads (the old ones had a cup-like shape). Maybe try one of those first?

1 Like

I guess “costly” is a matter of perspective. My speakers were $16k (retail) and the Gaia II that brought a lot of improvement for them – for the unstable wood floor I have – were about $600. So for 1/26th the cost of the speakers that seems like really pretty big bang for the buck to me.

4 Likes

Of course, it is. The topic starter owns Spendors S6e. So, it will be 1/3 of the price (if I got the price of the speakers right after googling quickly). So, in this context, “costly” is a right word to me. And even in the context of my 3K Tannoys… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ceraball Universal by Finite Elemente are a less costly and perhaps more visually unobtrusive way to get some decoupling.

1 Like

Just ordered 2 granite slabs 20mm is the thickest I could get. Is it best just to sit them directly on the laminate?

Amazon sells some black granite chopping boards quite cheap that work a treat also under speakers

Yes I looked at those but they appear to be quite thin. The ones I’ve ordered are direct from a local fireplace manufacturer and from off cuts I saw a sample and they should be perfect and only being charged £30 for the pair. My only doubt is if I sit them directly onto the laminate or stick something onto the underside. Will this effect sq vibration etc.

Everything touching anywhere causes issues.
I would try them on the floor with nothing on them and if they click or rock at all I would put rubber pips on them.
But every different material will have a different effect to sound transfer but stability is most important. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Felt might be a good option.

2 Likes

I stuck 2 pieces of selfadhesive feltmats under each tile. Works perfect,no vibration and speakers can easily be moved by sliding them to the best position for sound image.

1 Like

Yep. Sticky felt thingys you put under furniture. That’s all you need. And it makes moving speakers easy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.