Floorstanders on laminate floor

At the moment my speakers sit on spike shoes directly onto the laminate flooring. Would a better option be to place a large rug under the support and speakers and look at an alternative to help de-couple the speakers.? I am in the process of moving things around in the room and would like some ideas please.

1 Like

Have you got concrete or floorboards under the laminate? I find laminate stiffens up floorboard floors. Either way I doubt you need to decouple the speakers. Some floor protectors might be useful. There are many on here who advocate various shades of speaker feet which you might have fun trying out.

It is always better to have the speakers on the floor to have minimum movement.
If you balance the speakers on top of something flexible it then allows lateral movement “ however small “ blurs the information detail.
The stiffer the better. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

It is an upstairs room so floorboards unfortunately. I was just wondering if anyone has a similar problem and what the best solutions are without spending a fortune.

Simple (in my view)…
Keep the 'speakers as still as possible.
Solutions which involve compliance, if they work, probably do so by mitigating other system problems.

I made a template of where the spikes on the speakers are and then transferred that to the floor and drilled though vertical installed self tapping cross head screws then made all the screws the same height for level using a long bubble level then locate the spikes into the screw heads and level.
My carpet is on floorboards.
Rock solid no movement. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

I do exactly the same where carpeted as the screws are hidden. Same for racks. However, I’d avoid screwing into laminate flooring. :grimacing:

1 Like

I’d just get some of those small flat discs with a tiny cup to put the spikes in. Sounds like your floor is rigid enough. Doesn’t sound like you have a problem otherwise.

2 Likes

Laminate floor is only a hard carpet. :wink:
Small rugs for next time. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
I have a very good friend that uses Linn Skeets they have a wide footing for stability.
Just a thought. :thinking:

1 Like

There are various threads on this.

Despite the nay-sayers, I tried Isoacoustic Gaias under my B&W 804 D3 floorstanders. They are materially better than spikes or the non-spike options supplied with the speakers. You can probably try them and get a refund on return if you don’t like them. Few seem that do that, but some rye other options (e.g. Townshend) even more highly.

1 Like

Granite slabs.

2 Likes

This is my solution. 2 shiny polished granite tiles from the local tileshop. Total (if memory serves me well) €200.
Made a huge difference.

5 Likes

Isoacoustics Gaia III under Spendor A6

5 Likes

+1 for the recommendation of isoAcoustics Gaia. I have Gaia II under my Dynaudio Confidence C2.

1 Like

+2 for the recommendation of isoAcoustics Gaia II.

1 Like

At the very least borrow and evaluate Isoacoustic’s Gaia. I used them with positive results on suspended floor (wood/parquet) and PMC speakers.
I’ve just helped a friend do similar in his carpeted office on suspended floor, also with PMC speakers and in his case a Uniti Nova, the results were conclusive, bass was put under control whereas before it was timing badly and felt bloated, the soundstage opened up to an extent, smallish room though so results not drastic.

1 Like

Another Gaia user here on engineered wood flooring. Better SQ than supplied spikes. My ears, my room etc.
My dealer has two or three sets that he loans out so people can try before buying. Stating the obvious but if you do try make sure you use the correct ones for the weight of your speaker.

1 Like

Just substitute the carpet for laminate flooring in the picture.

FYI: These are Herbie’s Audio Lab Giant Titanium Cone Decoupling Glider. Besides the audio properties of these, you will never have problems moving your loudspeakers again or damage your laminate floor. :ok_hand::blush:

2 Likes

Tried both isolators from audio physics (magnets) and Gaia - both big effect on wooden floor. Preferred the Gaia’s and kept them.

1 Like

An interesting conundrum is presented by what I have - sisal flooring. There is no cutting through this stuff as it’s incredibly hard but it is still a flexible floor covering with underlay beneath it on to floorboards. So, I just placed the Fraim racks on Fraim chips on top of the sisal having levelled it all and put the speakers on two slabs of granite. It all sounds fine for now so we’ll see how it goes but I was conscious that there don’t seem to be any other examples of placing equipment on sisal type floor coverings.