Floorstanders to replace Naim Ovator S400 and improve performance (a.k.a. my systems evolution)

I’ve always though the so-called big or large “soundstage” from many setups are exaggerated, false and unnatural.

Often far from the live experience you get listening to real performed music, I much prefer that effect “its like being there”

Sure I’m a minority, everybody wants soundstage.

2 Likes

I am no native English speaker as most likely is obvious.

My wording of non measurable perceptions is borrowed and perhaps not always correct.

If I would try to phrase what I perceive and visualize, some (not all) of the things I aim for is a balance of wide image which is not hooked, but rounded, the clear placement and definition of instruments (for me mostly Jazz) and an immersive feeling as a listener. I have always described a wide, rounded image as sound stage, nothing to do with live performances, perhaps I was wrong. Wording being what it might have to be, this image is what I try to achieve when placing my speakers.

2 Likes

I think the problem is not particularly to do with your grasp of English - which is good. It is more to do with the lack of suitable words to describe clearly and unambiguously what you are trying to describe, and the consequent attempts by people to grasp for words that are not, perhaps, adequate.
Wine tasting seems to suffer from similar problems.

2 Likes

A problem for us all then! Regarding wine, I can less visualize what I like, especially with wording like oaky, leather, horse stable, cellar smells with hints of cat urine do little to help me describe what I like unfortunately :sunglasses:

Anyway, toe in for me: less wide image. So I don’t.

4 Likes

There you go again…. There are so many different flavors of cat urine …

4 Likes

Installing the PS555 DR on my NDX2 took the Ovators to another level again. I’m glad that I tapped the forums wisdom before moving on.

8 Likes

Option 2 worked for me :grinning:

Good choice :ok_hand:

May I also request the S-400 info please?

Current status: System is now all set for the next level: As you could read spread over various threads I did not replace the Ovators but the amplification. I also upgraded the source by changing a non Naim power supply to a XPS DR in the first place and eventually changed to a 555DR. This now opens up the way for a ND 555 which I will look into next year.

After loaning some Ansuz cables I now own a full loom (mainly A2) which also significantly improved the overall sound. Especially the speaker cables were a revelation in contrast to my Taralabs cables as was the repositioning of the speakers.

Cable dressing and decoupling of all components contributed to the sound stage as well.

One take away for me: as long as you can hear a difference, the speakers are not on their limit.

Best of all: since opening this thread I spent endless hours listening to fine music.

8 Likes

sorry for the typo…should read next week :sunglasses:

2 Likes

As you wrote that two weeks ago, next week is now last week, so you must be sorted.

1 Like

That‘s right

Current status: still recovering from the costs of my various upgrades but also considering an upgrade of my speakers. Since I need to place the speakers near the wall I currently consider those as an potential upgrade over the Ovators:

• Perlisten S7T (will do a demo)
  • Børresen Z3 (will do a demo)
  • Audio Physic Cardas (looking for a dealer to do a demo)
  • Kudos Titans 707 (looking for a dealer to do a demo)

I you guys could share your experiences with any of those speakers that would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t have the Kudos 707s, I have the 505s but when room placment is critical I think the Kudos are quite astonishing. I am going to try some Borresens next year but must say I am in love with the Kudos. Mine are only 26 inches from the rear wall to the front of the speaker, so only about 13 inches from the rear wall to the rear of the speaker.
I have had them as close as 8 inches to the rear wall from the rear of the speaker and they still sound great but with a slight loss of soundstage and detail.

1 Like

Also don’t discount the Kudos 505s to replace your S-400s. I think you might be very surprised at their capabilities in terms of bass, tight, articulate beautifully presented I’d say down in the high 30hz range. Midrange, highs flow and the entire range is so well integrated.

2 Likes

I have heard 505s, 606s, 707s and 808s and also read lots of reviews by potential and actual owners. Not heard of any of the other speakers you mention

I heard 505s at a show (Acoustica about 4-5 years ago) driven by 272/300 and they were the best thing there (to my ears). Kept going back to the room and listening more. Just lovely. For context, I had SBLs driven by 52/sc/300 and NDS/555 at the time (all non dr)

I won’t refer to the 808s(!) but also heard 606s and 707s each active with a pair of 300s. I much preferred the 707s - a lot more bass/scale, without being boomy, but I have seen many people say they prefer the 606s. There don’t seem to be many people who love the 707s, the 606s seem a lot more popular. That may be room dependent

A few people have described the 505s as a sweet spot in the Titan range. Def worth a listen if you can manage

2 Likes

I love the 707’s. Fantastic speakers. Just added the Kudos KS-1 speaker cable and they got even better

2 Likes

I was at that show and also really enjoyed the room with the 505s. And that’s from someone who’s not a fan of their earlier models (I had C20s for a while). Had I not given up waiting for 272 replacement and jumped in a different direction, I might well have ended up with a pair of 505s.

Roger

1 Like

12 months now with my 505s, simply excellent in every aspect of performance.

1 Like