Floorstanders to replace Naim Ovator S400 and improve performance (a.k.a. my systems evolution)

I replaced my S400s with Kudos speakers - 808s which are sublime. I heard the 505s and 707s both of which were excellent.

1 Like

Boiled it down to either Børresen Z3 Cryo or Perlisten S7T. Will do a back-to-back demo of both end of November, then do a home demo. Z3 Cryo in white satin look sleek.

Similarly I appreciate high quality standmounts more than floorstanders. The Titan 505 costs ÂŁ7k pair (close to ÂŁ8k with original stands?) so I would expect it to sound stellar.

Just a note that the 505 goes down to 40 Hz on paper, not 30 Hz

Had Ovators S400 for ten years and replaced them with Kudos S20A. Total game changer and perfectly matching my room acoustics which I believe is the key. Friendly to the pocket and the sweet-spot in Kudos hierarchy. Finally, hi-fi in the house (transparency, imaging, energy, low volume performance). Long time keeper, no doubt. Just my three cents… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Had an extensive listening session yesterday to compare the Perlisten S7T with the Børresen Z3 Cryo. Borresen were a little bit better for my taste and would probably integrate better into my living room. They are more or less the same size as my Ovators while the Perlisten are more than 30 cm taller. Tough decision, both are exceptional loudspeakers.

Just placed an order on the Børresen Z3 Cryo in white satin. Will be delivered during February 2023. I will report on my impressions and of course post to system pics 2023.

5 Likes

Just 8 days ago I took delivery of my Børresen Z3 Cryo in satin white. Nice looking speakers to replace my Ovators. Dealer took enough time to set them up properly, but unfortunately they just didn‘t sound right. We decided to let them play for two or three days straight and hope for them to open up. There was way too much bass, they sounded dull, thick and muffled. Voices sounded like everybody had a cold. Not a second of enjoyment for me. I wished I had never thought about replacing the Ovators.

My dealer suggested to replace the Z3 with another pair of Z3 he used for demos to check if something was wrong with my speakers. There wasn‘t anything wrong with the speakers, his speakers sounded as bad as mine.

He was at least as disappointed as I was, so he replaced them with the Børresen O2 Cryo, wich is a huge step up in the food ladder. I always liked the O2 more than the Z3 but the price is far out of reach for me. But the O2 sounded so beautiful in my room and really made the ND555 shine. Since the O2 had not visible „problems“ with the walnut veneer on the side he offered me to just take the O2 instead of Z3. He took about two hours to find the perfect location in my room. Listening to my rig yesterday nearly made me cry. I am overwhelmed by these speakers and my entire setup. Will post pictures soon.

10 Likes

Gosh, a bit of a journey there, but it’s all come together, I must say, excellent support from your dealer to.

3 Likes

The Z3 as viewed in my room from the left side:

From the other side:

And the view from my listening position:

Dimensions of the room are roughly about 5,5 meters by 3,5 meters with the speakers on the long side. About 28 cm behind speakers. Sound: awful.

4 Likes

The new speakers, right side:

Another view:

Sound: wonderful :smiley:

23 Likes

The O2’s look gorgeous :heart_eyes: Congratulations !

1 Like

good morning would it be possible to have the information sheet on the regulations for a NBL.Thanks

Evar, I have translated your post. Please do this before posting - note that forum rules require all posts to be in English so that it can be easily read and understood by the wider community.

As for NBLs, I assume you mean the NBL manual? I would recommend you contact Naim support - they may be able to send you a pdf file if they have one.

1 Like

And they deliver in spades.

1 Like

Thanks and sorry for not translating my post

1 Like

Just downsized to active speakers (KEF LS50 Wireless II).

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Welp.

Børresen O2 go back to Denmark and will receive an crossover upgrade. Although I really like the KEF in my office system it is mindboggling how much different music can sound. Considering that the KEF actives are probably better than 80% of average joe‘s hifi I can‘t believe how bad most people treat their ears.

what are borresen upgrading in the crossover?

I stumbled upon a review on their website for the O2 SSE. There seems to be a evolutionary upgrade on the O2 crossover which will be made on my speakers. Rather minor improvement according to the article, but we will see. Seems to be O series and not Z series, so no issue for Your speakers.

My Naim dealer told me that Naim also does updates on some parts while servicing. So no big issue, just normal business. Anyway, it is hard to downgrade, even for a couple of days.