Focal Kanta 2 or Sopha 1 with Nova?

Second the NACA5 recommendation…

2 Likes

Hi Clare, What size is your room? Mine is just under 20 m2 and I wonder if it’s too small for the Kanta 2? As I’ve said, the Chora 816s sound fine, but…we wonder…lol…

Audio Physic speakers and Naim (at least in my humble opinion) are a great match. I am very much enjoying the Classic 10s on powered by my Supernait 2 and hear no harshness at all, in fact, quite the opposite; AP speakers are quite warm sounding.

@anon4489532 is right about burn in, so give it some time! Then, if you are not content, take a look at some alternatives. I am in the market for new speakers and my current favourites are Spendor A7s so far.

Enjoy!

Thanks for your input Clare…. I spent hours reading the forum and was able to see how much you appreciate your Sopra 2. I was under the impression you were using seperate boxes…. Not a Nova. Anyway, as mentionned in my initial post, the Sopra 2 is out of reach for me…. Any comment on the Combo Nova /Sopra 1 vs Nova /Kanta 2 for a room that is 4.5 meters wide by 5 meters long?

Regards

We have two main systems - Nova and Kanta 2 in home office; ND 555/555 PS/NAC 552/NAP 300 powering Sopra 2 in living room.

I am rubbish at measurements so will go check the size of those rooms!

3 Likes

That is a good point. The Nova is a factory refurbished with a full warranty. I have it since 4 weeks and it has at least 250 hours in. The question is… do refurb units needs burn in time. Maybe Clare would know.

As a Graded unit is likely to include brand-new components, it should go through a full run-in, yes.

1 Like

Thank you very much Clare…. I will give it more time before moving on with new speakers… However, I thought 250 hours would be enough… I am most likely wrong.

As I’m sure you know, the running in time is when it’s actually playing music through the speakers, not just when it’s turned on. I was just thinking that 250 hours of music in 28 days sounds like a lot.

I’d get rid of those speaker cables for a start. Good old NAC A5 is your friend.
Ensure your Nova is well supported - mine’s on a Fraim glass shelf, with the isolating supports. And a Powerline works wonders, too!

4 Likes

Thank you Paul, Spendor D7.2 were initially an option I was looking at. Unfortunately, Not a single vendor in my region is able to demo Spendor speakers at the moment (Covid issue). What do you like about the A7 vs your Audio Physics?

I have a dedicated room in the basement, it was on 24 hours a day playing Radio for more than a week.

Hi Clare. I think that’s a little unfair. I use Tellurium Q Black II, a step down from the OP’s Ultra Black, and they are superb cables and work brilliantly with my Naim. I’m effectively banned from sharing negative views on Focal speakers and I think it’s wrong of you as a Naim director to suggest the OP ditches their cables just because they are not Naim and when you’ve not heard them in the OP’s system. Maybe they are better than A5.

3 Likes

The OP specifically asked about my system, and so i’ve told him my recommendations, based on personal experience. Not only in my own system: I’ve got a close friend with a Nova whom tried all kinds of other speaker cable - believing, on pricing/reviews that it would sound better - and only got the performance he enjoyed when he moved to A5. It’s what we used as a reference when developing the Uniti range, so no real surprise.

5 Likes

Yes, but your friend isn’t the OP and your friend’s speakers are not the OP’s speakers. Obviously as part of Naim you will promote Naim, but it’s horses for courses here. When I had PMC speakers I found TQ considerably better than A5, but with SL2s the position was reversed.

There is a difference, I think, between how posts from standard members and Naim staff are viewed, and the latter can be taken as Gospel by some, for some strange reason. For that reason I’m not sure it’s a good idea to be telling the OP to ditch something they are happy with and to get something just because it’s Naim. You will of course do what you wish, but I think it’s an unwise direction to take. I’ll say no more.

But they’re not happy with the sound of their system and are asking for suggestions for changes, which is what i’m making based on experience, not just my job title…

Going to have to agree to differ on this one, Nigel!

9 Likes

I appreciate input form everybody. As a mater of fact, I am impressed by the amount of information I already received. I was looking fo advise to resolve my problem and am very happy with the answers so far. I will certainly look at things differently and make the moves I need to do to improve my situation.

Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Ok, got the measurements -
Using Sopra 2 in room 3.5m x 5.5m
Using Kanta 2 in room 3m x 4m
Both pairs of speakers are @35cm from the back wall.

3 Likes

Thank you very much Clare. Much appreciated.

I had AQ type 5 and my Nova over heated and shut down with a screen warning. I bought the AQs on the recommendation of the store and have learned my lesson. I don’t understand how someone would spend this much on a piece of equipment and not get the matched cables. Personally I trust the Naim engineers.

3 Likes