Focal Naim America Status

I disagree. The Herron is very special. And it doesn’t cost the same. Not even close. The SuperLine is considerably more expensive. It doesn’t include a PSU. The Herron does. At a minimum you need to add a FlatCap with a SNAIC and DIN IC, or it requires you have a Naim pre with powered output (and SNAIC).

The Herron is a fantastic phonostage. However, there’s a lot to be said for synergy, matching Naim with Naim. But put a SuperLine up to a Herron in a non-Naim system. Then talk about quality to cost ratio. The Herron might very well offer bigger bang for the buck.

Josquin,

You have not to disagree. It was just a question. But as you said a veil was lifted, I understood that the superline is better sounding for you vs the Herron.

As for costs, the Herron costs 4k euros in France, and the superline costs 2,7 k.
In US, the superline costs more because of taxes.
Both cost about the same, the superline costs 2700 euros so 2900 dollars. The Herron costs 3600 dollars without taxes.

As for synergy, I disagree. I compared the ear 88 pb ( 3,8 k euros) , Nagra Vps ( 4,5 k euros) and Tom Evans The Groove ( 3k euros). They were, for me, better than the Superline alone, on my past 252/supercap/ 250.
The Superline/ Supercap was better vs the Nagra, quite on same level vs the Tom Evans the Groove( half expensive).
The ear 88 pb was on the same level too, just different.( vs Superline/ Supercap).
This absolute Naim Synergy is a myth. Sorry to say. Some components don’t work well with Naim, as Conrad Johnson for example. Other gives very good synergy and even gives more to the table.

Not saying of course that the Superline/ Supercap doesn’t sound good. The contrary. But for me , only my opinion, you can have better results for less money.
If bought second hand, the Superline/ Supercap is a great phono to have. Without the Supercap, it’s average.
I feel the Herron was just not a good match with Naim.

The SuperLine has no power supply. You have to add one to compare cost to the Herron. I’m really not hunting for alternatives, like the ones you favor. My dealer doesn’t carry them, so I can’t try them out anyway.

It can be powered by a Naim pre, hicap , and Supercap.

And that has to be factored into cost, if comparing with other phonostages.

If you don’t like the Herron I accept that.

I have not said I don’t like Herron. I have even never heard it.
I just understood from your original post that you found the Superline much better vs it. And I believe you, it’s your experience and ears.
I wanted to comment on the Naim synergy you were referring.

In any case the Herron sold in less than 60 minutes after listing it. That’s how good of a reputation it has.

As for synergy, Naim is all voiced a certain way. The PRaT, neutrality, dynamics, and so on. Now that I have a 252/300 it just made sense to try it.

I’ll miss the Herron. Keith Herron is a personal friend (lives just 10 miles down the road) and even hand delivered it to my house back in 2014, and has been great about supporting it over the years.

I’m glad Focal-Naim America came to their senses about sending me something to audition. I would never have bought the SuperLine sight unseen (unheard).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.