Football Season 2019/20

Well at least now Mr Lennon can focus on domestic business.

1 Like

Fair play to my team. It’s taken 6 years but we finally have 2 goal scorers.

So far that’s a game in which we put in the worst 45 minutes in a long time then completely transformed and won; threw away a 2 goal lead away from home with only 8 minutes left; took a complete battering at Dover before taking the lead, having a man sent off and losing in injury time to an own goal; had another man sent off tonight but beat the leaders. This is like early Flynn years. Who is our current assistant manager? Flynn.

I thought it was a great result 1-0 away from home to Newcastle in dreadful weather on the opening day, three points, no injuries, happy days. With the fixtures we have coming up it was a sensible starting eleven from Emery and I thought the three academy lads two of who are still teenagers did great especially Joe Willock who has come on fantastically under Freddie Ljungberg and Unai Emery.
Mkhitaryan will be sold if a team ever comes in for him but on a day when Mesut Ozil was out and Dani Ceballos was carrying a slight knock we didn’t have many options in that posistion. Personally I’ve never taken to him but prior to his foot injury last season he was looking as though he might show some of the form he showed at Dortmund where he and Aubameyang formed a great partnership but since coming back unfortunately it just hasn’t happened for him .

We are a few injuries away from full strength but I believe we will challenge for top four possibly three.

Leno in goal, Rob Holding, David Luiz and Sokratis at the back, Tierney and Bellerin as wing backs, Ceballos and Ozil in midfield and Pepe, Lacazette and Aubameyang up front.

Looks like a strong team and we also have a strong sqaud this year , Xhaka, Torreria, Kolasinac, Guendouzi, Martinelli, Willock, Maitland-Niles, Reese Nelson and Nacho Monreal.

1 Like

Seeing as he only arrived at Arsenal Friday and had apparently missed a couple of training sessions probably the right move. He was never at his best in a flat back four either and we didn’t have the players to play three at the back so I think he will probaby make his debut on Saturday when we will have Kolasinac back as left wing back, Maitland Niles on the right and Luiz, Chambers and Sokratis as a back three.
I think David Luiz is a great signing for us, I remember there was talk of him coming last seaon but obviously it didnt happen. He will give us that presence we’ve been missing at the back and will really fit in with Emery’s style as he’s a great ball player.

I’ve long since accepted that Celtic are no longer able to compete with Europe’s biggest (read: richest) clubs. But Cluj!

I applaud your optimism, Bob. And your first XI looks formidable on paper.

The thing that let us down last season was our a lack of goals and just one clean sheet on the road, our away form was to be blunt diabolical but our home form was so good that with four games to go we where in third position with Champions League qualification in our own hands.
We then threw CL qualification away in the space of 10 days and then got battered in the EL final, I was at the EL semi, 2nd leg in Valencia and we beat the team placed fourth in La Liga 4-2, 7-3 on aggregate, Valencia also beat Barca in the Copa del Rey final don’t forget, two weeks later in the EL final we where a shambles.
What happened only the players themselves will know but the management and football boffins at the club identified a lack of attacking threat away from home, more specifically a player who would run at home defences and get balls into our front two. So that is why we threw most of our budget at that area and brought Nicolas Pepe.
I’m still confident we will get our main defensive target Dayot Upamecano either in January or next summer and when his French U21 centre back partner William Saliba arrives in May we will have a formidable and very young defence.
Until then CL qualification is our goal and I think in David Luiz we have a player who can fill our CB problem posistion and in Nicolas Pepe finally have that wide player who can really cause defences problems.

Not wanting to be outshone by their first team, Celtic Colts were knocked out of the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup tonight by Falkirk.

That’s the last time I eat a Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer.

3 Likes

This is the thing my team and Nomads are in isn’t it? We’ve got Ayr at home. Some if our fans are excited by that. Can’t say I am.

1 Like

Proper tournament. Proper game. Wonderful result. Joy unalloyed …

Picture taken on my iPhone.

1 Like

Against Cluj - not sure what the instruction is though …

That’s just cruel. The thing is, I like caramel wafers. Or used to, to be exact.

There’s still the tea cakes :slight_smile:

It was so surreal watching Adrian (former West Ham fan fave) in a Liverpool shirt doing a post match piece after having won Liverpool the Super Cup. :upside_down_face:

It must have been, Kev!

I’m sincerely hoping the Reds were partying very, very hard last night…because they are Saints’ guests at St Mary’s on Saturday afternoon. Eeek.

1 Like

Booo!

1 Like

I do like a Tunnocks Caramel wafer but they are not a patch on the Tunnocks Tea Cake.

1 Like