Football Season 2020 - 2021

6 Likes

And, sorry Kev, you’d be laughed out of the Crucible because WHU are not in the same financial league as the Spurs or Arsenal; even Everton are wealthier (in the Deloitte rankings). And this is nowt to do with football, it’s all about money, and control of where that money ends up.

In fact, football is now just a business, and businesses need a steady year-on-year income. So no more worrying out whether your club will get 70mil or 170mil from Euro footy dependant upon what position you end up the previous year (take note: Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal this season).

It is also no coincidence that there are American owners of ManUtd, Liverpool and Arsenal, and they can see the riches that flow from the NFL’s stable organisation.

“Bums on seats on a Saturday afternoon” are no longer needed, and are indeed an irrelevance. Broadcast revenue is where it’s all at these day…

1 Like

Well played Leeds and well earned.

3 Likes

Blimey, Leeds, playing tonight with 10 > 11 of last year’s Championship side, have just held a European Superleague team to a 1 -1 draw … we’re really going places … and if the “elite” teams do proceed with their Superleague plans, then The Mighty Whites could well be playing Champions League football next season. :joy: :joy:

M.O.T.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the clubs have realised they don’t need visiting fans since the pandemic. You’re right that fans, or at least us legacy fans, are no longer required. The money’s outside of Europe nowadays.

It’s been coming for a while and money has been ruining football since satellite TV and it became big business.

FIFA, UEFA and most other governing bodies are corrupt but at least there was competition. This looks to kill that off to a large extent so is a shame. Not unexpected but a sad time for football fans.

1 Like

Agreed, they might just as well fill the stadium with crash dummies (socially distanced, of course) in all the seats and play Crowd Sounds over the tannoy!

Much like they do now on MoTD - I’ve even heard “When the Saints go marching in” during our games!

1 Like

Ask the players whether they want to play in front of a full crowd or an empty stadium. Not a hard one. A Super League without a noisy crowd - which corporate boxes, attendees won’t provide - will be utterly soulless. Players, including top players, will want to perform in front of packed, raucous crowds.

1 Like

I think the players are more interested in their bank balances!

The only way I can see this working is if they’re kicked out of the PL and the remaining teams get on with it. It’ll be sad as you won’t see Leeds nearly scalp Liverpool and the FA cup is much sweeter when the top six lose to part time players.

However, football could potentially revert back to a sport with more regular money/salaries. Still competitive but with fewer teams. The Europa League would become the new CL.

Well if the big six buqqer off and play with themselves outside of the EUFA, then the Prem will still need a new champion…at the moment Leicester or WHU…who would then get to play in the, er, EUFA Champions League…Saints will be in 8th and pushing for a Europa League slot.

Could be a win-win situation for all. :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you @Puddlesplasher the only person to have spoke any sense on this subject so far this Super League has been touted around for 20 years or more and as well as COVID the timing of Uefa’s revamped and even bigger CL has hastened this breakaway.

Well it’s been an interesting season and you were up there for a while. WHU have been brilliant, as have Leicester but Wolves weren’t doing too badly either. That’s what I’ve enjoyed and will now likely enjoy as a neutral/ex Arsenal fan.

Managers often say that their team is bigger than XYZ player and they’re right. Football is also bigger than XYZ team so the PL will survive but hopefully it’ll separate out so the ESL doesn’t ruin it.

The football you are all hankering after died 30 years ago when Sky Sports got involved and televised live matchday fixtures.

Every single Premier League club has happily taken the TV rights and sponsorship money where do you think the 100’s of millions pounds spent by newly promoted clubs like Leeds came from, the sale of meat pies and scarves perhaps?

2 Likes

Wether or not Uefa stand strong and ban these six clubs remains to be seen but I have a feeling a compromise will be reached the Premier League especially will be poorer for and less attractive without those teams and all the governing bodies know that.

Sure, it’s natural progression and we can’t expect owners to think about anything less than their bank balances. But I’ll gladly drop Arsenal like a stone if they don’t have to earn their right to play the best teams in Europe.

Currently we don’t deserve to play the top 20 teams in Europe. We did when Wenger was in charge but in our current state, no way. In the ESL it’d be a given and I’m not into that. It’s possibly why it’s of no interest to Stan K that were 9th as it won’t ever matter.

It mattered to Wenger that he was consistent enough to earn the right to play with the best. Sure we never won but we earned the right to be there.

I don’t begrudge Stan for doing what he’s done but I’ll find a different sport or watch whatever remains as I’m just not interested.

Really 1892?

I sincerely hope they do stand strong. The PL will cope and the fans of the remaining 14 clubs will still enjoy watching their teams. They’ll probably enjoy it more with a more even league.

Uefa will never remove those 12 clubs so far signed up to the ESL from their domestic leagues because the money generated by them will be greatly reduced without them and I’d be very surprised if Bayern Munich and PSG are not amongst the remaining three yet to be announced. So there will either be compromise or acceptance by the governing bodies.

European Football is now a global game and this is a natural progression for several reasons not least the revamped and increasingly bloated CL format but let us be clear the main reason is financial and I don’t think any of the clubs involved would deny that.

I’ve always been in favour of a ESL and in principle am in favour of this though not a fan of the 15 founder’s inclusion without qualification but realistically it’s the only way these clubs can break away and protect their investments long term.

This ESL could actually enhance and protect all the other domestic clubs because it will give them a greater chance of competing in a Uefa backed European cup competition and receiving the revenue for that.

Also I’d have to add that supporters of these clubs who are up in arms over it are being a bit hypocritical as they’ve been perfectly happy for their owners to buy them success and turn the PL into an elite League won only by 4 or 5 teams and in the case of Man City turning their club from a mid table team flirting with relegation into a European power house in less than 10 years.

Isn’t it the inclusion without qualification what people are most up in arms about? The money and greed is just linked to that as the entire concept is based around security of finance via the direct removal of competition. So you’re either into the principle or not and it seems that most are not.

Fortunately I’m just not that into football that I’ll remain a die hard fan. It won’t be a big loss for Arsenal but it works both ways. There’s plenty in life to gain pleasure from and people will find other interests.

1 Like

Allegedly, allegedly, Chelsea weren’t among the most enthusiastic pushers of this, perhaps because their ownership model is different from the other teams and rumours are circulating they may be changing their mind already.

I hope so and I hope they can pull out and we begin to see some cracks in this. Wishful thinking perhaps.

However I notice all the six teams from the PL have withdrawn from the ECA already so it seems more like they are to follow this SL path asap. I guess it also depends on whether these teams have signed up in principle or contractually.

I’m sure player power will come into this though won’t it? Given the outrage I’m confident that not many people are going to want to watch, which means it’s going to fail at some point and what price these players then, especially if they’re banned by PL, UEFA and FIFA.

2 Likes