Football Season 2023/24

Stockport 4-0 up, looks like a got my wish :grinning:

England nil, Brazil 1. Let the recriminations begin. Oh wait, just a friendly :wink::joy:

1 Like

Yup, consensus was we needed a Stockport win and they delivered. Would have preferred a nervous 1-0 so they could continue their erratic form but they finally seem to be clicking back into gear at the right moment. It’s just impossible to predict what will happen from this point for anyone though. The remaining away games will be critical and Colchester nearly beating Mansfield is a good reminder on that front given that we also have to face them. Amusingly we’ve now gone from the worst away form to the 4th best. It is that ludicrously tight.

Yesterday was a buzz. Set off on a local train to Leeds before 8am. Arrived at Cleethorpes just after 12:50pm after 2 changes. Didn’t see a single Wrexham fan until Doncaster., which was part of my intent in setting off an hour earlier than usual. That said, as someone with no choice but to use public transport, the general principle is to always make the journey before the one you need to make. Held true again yesterday.

The wind was horrendous. Even with 5 layers; a snood and a hoodie plus twin layered socks that was the coldest i’ve ever been in an away end and especially a sold out 1. Our away support can be patchy but, like Morecambe, they sang from start to end and it’s hard to argue it didn’t make some difference. Literally only heard their fans sing twice in 90 minutes.

At 0-1 Grimsby looked competitive and well in it but at 0-2 their heads went and it was hard to argue that 0-3 wasn’t a reflection of the play albeit that we were the away team and played on the counter. The big difference for me is that our adaptation to the weather was just so much better. I’ve a great photo of an away end flag at 30 degrees to the horozintal thanks to the wind and that wasn’t occasional gusts. It was relentless. Arthur’s 1st goal kick sailed to the right and into touch by the dug outs and he never made thar kick again. He kicked left or let O’Connell bring it out on the floor before spraying it to Boyle. We quickly learned to follow the flight and won more 1st and 2nd balls than I’ve seen for a long time. O’Connell and Palmer were especially good in that respect. Astonishing then at the start of the 2nd half, with the wind unchanging, to see their keeper kick it straight and watch it fly right towards the dug outs and then… he just kept on doing it. Really poor and rather odd.

The weak points for us were again Mendy and Lee. Latter is apparently in the last chance saloon with Parky. His girlfriend quit on him 8 weeks ago and he assured the manager he was fine but… clearly not. Mendy’s injury means we may see more of McFadz than anyone anticipated. Arguably at fault for their goal although Arthur clearly continues to have an issue with his near post.

The highlights do zero justice to how great the 1st half was and how controlled and professional the 2nd. Hard to pick a MOTM. Boyle wasn’t quite as good as recent weeks but Max and O’Connell were sublime. The latter in particular at 1 point adjusted his feet 3 times watching their hoofed ball come down from the sky and then casually stretched his right leg out to tap the ball to Cannon (I think) without it even touching the floor. Tozer has tried that; injured himself and given the ball away. Eoghan on the other hand…

I like Artell as a man and a manager but it has to be said that if it weren’t for FGR and Sutton then they looked every inch a team going down.

Best skills of the day award went to the 15 Grimsby kids on bikes looking for a fight who waited over an hour at Cleethorpes station only to be herded onto the train by a fairly jolly and inept looking cop who herded them into an end hakd carriage at the front of the train; got all our fans in safely and then arranged for only 1 set of doors to open at Grimsby and the other doors through the train to be temporarily locked so their bloody rampage through the train turned into a meek moment of pushing their bikes onto the platform at Grimsby only to find themselves outnumbered by security and a bunch of our fans laughing at them from the safety of the train. As ambushes go I suspect it didn’t quite go to plan.

Think I got home at 11:20pm. Tired but very happy. 6 trains and 2 buses. All 3 goals were terrific but the 2nd 1 has to be a goal of the season contender. Started in our D with Mullin of all people. Ended being smashed across the keeper into the top corner. Cue a special chorus for Andy Cannon of The Lion Sleeps Tonight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’ve not seen it @JohnF and @Canaryfan then there’s an article in yesterday’s Guardian about Rowe. It’s a good read.

1 Like

Thanks, watching GP ATM. Will read a bit later.

1 Like

He’s certainly. A unique talent. Unfortunately he hasn’t signed an extension to his contract.
His first goal at Ipswich and the one at Hull were exceptional, off balance and still scored against the odds.
Hope he makes for the play offs if we qualify.:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

BTW Mike, I will be driving to Doncaster, so if there is anything I can do to help you home, give me a shout. I live near Denby Dale, so detours to Sheffield, Huddersfield or even Leeds are doable if needs be.

1 Like

Wow, thank you. That’s a very kind offer and hugely appreciated. Sadly I think it’s a case of persuading my cousin to drive us there and back or I’m stuffed.

The issue is that even in the unlikely event of the match finishing on time around 9:30pm the travel time to Leeds and Huddersfield rules out any train which gets into Manchester before midnight and I need that in order to get the 45 minute bus home.

Getting to Sheffield looks the best option but it’s so tight it’s best to just say no. A 29 minute drive to get 1 train at 22:11 is theoretically doable but in practice it’ll just take 1 small delay to screw that and if that 1 train is then cancelled…

Unless my cousin can be persuaded then the 2nd of April will just have to be the live stream. Just those last 4 huge games to look forward to then and, barring more illness, I’ll do the lot.

No problem Mike, the offer is there if you need it. Let’s hope there is plenty to play for all the way to the end.

1 Like

An interesting read Mike.

I suspect the only thing that may keep him at Carrow Road next season is his injury record.

I feel that the majority of our ‘stars’ who have left in recent times for ‘greener grass’ & not fulfilled the promise shown with us would have benefited from another season or two with us, developing their skills without the pressure of needing to justify a big price tag with a Premiership club at too young an age & too little experience.

Can’t help thinking that Rowe would actually benefit, himself & us, by staying, developing & reducing the chances of becoming a one season wonder?

Even more for you both to read today. Lots of articles about Stuart Webber and his rather unfortunate casual racism.

1 Like

I suspect neither of us had any love for him, & his ill judged remarks appear as well considered as was his transfer policy.

Unfortunately, we still have his wife as our CEO &, whilst having no personal opinion on her abilities or lack of, I don’t think it is a healthy situation for the club to be in.

1 Like

It doesn’t surprise me. His arrogance had lost him the support of the majority of fans some time ago.
Still Delia told us he was wonderful.

1 Like

A number of fans blame Mrs Webber for the current disconnect between fans and club.
After what has happened recently it would I think be in the best interests of all for her to resign.

1 Like

Last night’s Wales result seemed inevitable to me before kick off. Despite scoring 4 last week, we didn’t threaten enough in front of goal despite keeping Poland to only a few scoring chances.

What this means for Page, I don’t know.

Good luck to Poland.

I consider Page to be a 1980s Wales manager and the current team are a 1980s Wales team. The sooner Psge goes and we rebuild again from U21s up the better for me. Why on earth you would make no further subs in the 2nd half of extra time was beyond me. James was a spent force by 60 minutes as was Moore.

That said, Poland had 1 “shot”, if you could call it that, on target in the best part of 130 minutes and it was clear that a fit Brooks would have brought victory. That in itself reinforced the 80s vibe for me. So closeand yet.

Quite liked the Chaminda Jayanetti post match comment.

“Congratulations to Poland, who will as usual take one point from their three games, score zero goals and go out in the group stages, unremembered by all.”

Well, looks like he has kept his job. Let’s see want the next set of qualifications brings.

The only reason we get near qualification is the fact the tournaments have expanded over the years. We didn’t deserve a chance last night in my opinion, but I would never turn it down.

Norwich City have excelled themselves.
As a reward for voting for player of the season I can have my name printed for free on a replica shirt should I buy one!

2 Likes

Great news if you surname is Featherstonehaugh :grinning:

1 Like

As with Notts County lsst year I travel more in hope than exprctation. Today may well deternine whether we’re in the mix for an automatic place or the play offs.

1 Like