Football Season 2023/24

I suggest you do a search on your own posts John. Whenever I’ve commented it’s explicitly because I checked back to make sure I wasn’t imagining stuff.

I’ve no desire for any friction but it’s all there in black and white. We all hold views which are contradictory and we all struggle to recognise it occasionally (me included obviously) but, as others may have noted, your posts have provided hours of pleasure for me. I don’t mean that in a nasty unpleasant way. I just mean that your consistent inconsistency and negativity has been kind of wonderful as it’s representative of so many football fans for whom gloom is the default to the point of it feeling like there is no success where you would actually just let go and enjoy the moment and that seems like a terrible shame.

We all have ‘em. As I was walking to my cousins car post match last night I heard a voice behind me exclaim that Parky should be sacked if we finish second “because he’s underachieved given the money he’s had.”

Totally classic!

Have been a Norwich supporter since early teens and now try to get in a game when in the vicinity. Have seen them twice this season and on both occasions, even though they won, they were playing with less than 11 men for most of the game. Norwich are a relatively good championship side. Watching them does make you wince sometimes. You need 11 players.

Totally agree with JohnF. Losing Farke was a big mistake. Barnes was just a waste of space in both games. Looked slow and clumsy and added no value. Sargent is doing very well. He is a strong player and compliments Sainz. Hopefully Rowe will stay.

2 Likes

Thanks Nobby, someone else who understands the game.

1 Like

It’s your interpretation that’s at fault.

1 Like

So it’s still game on at the top.

3 Likes

Well at least Leeds have a playoff spot booked :grin: :grin: :laughing:

2 Likes

Fantastic nerve wracking ending to the season but look at leagues one and two…

In L1 we can take our eyes off Portsmouth but for a few weeks Derby were in the box seat and Bolton looked like they’d blown it despite games in hand. Now Bolton are back in it and Peterboro are looming on the horizon having been play off material all season.

L2 not dissimilar. Multiple teams burst into play off places and looked momentarily like contenders for automatic only to sink back into the mix. 5 teams competing for 3 automatic places with everyone down to 10th competing for the next 4.

Bottom of all 3 divisions also yet to be determined.

See the article in The Athletic on why you signed Barnes. It wasn’t for goals or pace. Doing his coaching badges; coaching strikers; adding grit; pressing in non-obvious places to create space for others and so on.

So, effectively having a coach on the pitch and, as previously noted, regardless of what he specifically he does or doesn’t do in any given moment, Norwich rise up the table coincided with him starting regularly not the youngsters.

One fan’s passenger is often a manager’s missing link. We often swear officials are wrong; go home and see the exact opposite of what we thought we saw at the match when we see the video and so on.

Never quite clear why fans believe they always know better than the manager. This is the 21st century. The data available to a manager is phenomenal. If Barnes data suggested a problem he wouldn’t be in there. Norwich use the Elite Level GPS Tracker Vests. Not seen anyone suggesting they’re broken.

As you noted, you’ve seen them twice this season. If I’d only seen my team at only Accrington and Forest Green I’d struggle to defend the team selection, style, effort and much more and struggle to understand why we’ve been top 7 most of the season. You need a slightly more representative sample size if you want to make a case that both Wagner and football writers are all wrong and all whilst you’re rising up the table.

I’m a season ticket holder and go to all home games.
Like a great many fans I consider Barnes is not worth a place in the team.
You must also remember the same stats system also took us down to 17th place at one time.
With regard to stats always bear in mind the words of Mark Twain.

1 Like

Our record there means that’s pretty much the same as season over, we’re on the beach.

2 Likes

As recently as July last year you told us most of your fans want Delia out and yet that groundswell you claimed as a regular attendee has shrunk to a whisper.

My views are certainly not those of the majority of our fans. You seem to sit on the other side of that in as much as there’s a consistent assertion as to what the majority feel but it is really really hard to find evidence which backs it up beyond those assertions.

It is as they say a “game of opinions” but it’s important we all remember that our opinion is not fact.

My opinion is that James McClean is terrible as a left wing back and we’ve been a worse team all the time he’s been there. Our manager disagrees. He may well add us to the very small list of teams who have achieved back to back promotions. My view remains my view but the manager says different and much of the data clearly supports him not me.

As regards Mark Twain, I despise that quote and refuse to keep it in mind. It’s a cheap aphorism that largely ignores that any data tells a story. Statistics are hugely valuable provided you make the effort to collect the right data and understand its weaknesses. The Opta stats for example tell us that in terms of running, tackling and passing Barnes is in the top 20% in the Championship this season (21.3% if you insist on absolute accuracy) but they tell us zilch about how many times he’s drawn players away; created space; verbally directed and coached on the pitch; put pressure on officials when some of your younger players have been timid etc.

I think Twain was advising against over reliance on statistics as they can be miss used.
The reason fans are not as vociferous about Delia as they once were is because they hope Attanasio will take control and we are no longer in danger of being relegated.
People are still not happy with the way the club is run due to mounting debt and her speech at the AGM which was described by The Times as condescending.

Any of the 3 teams at the top of the championship taking maximum points from their last 4 games goes up now I reckon. Probably a bridge too far for Saints who will need to win 6 I suspect. Hopefully they’re on the beach for game 46.

2 Likes

It is ridiculously tight at the top of the Championship isn’t it?

Working in Leeds, I talk a lot about this and there are a lot of chewed fingernails I can tell you.

Ouch!

One of the good bits of StMarys is the TV screens showing the early kick off……

I think I’ll leave it there.

Now back live

1 Like

The Mighty Whites, for the third consecutive game, having been presented, this time by Plymouth, with a free pass to go clear at the top of the division, yet again fluff their lines and worked hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, with a loss at the hands of Blackburn.

I keep reading that we have the most formidable strike force in The Championship, yet their dismal lack of goals in recent games would suggest that we are headed for the grim playoffs, at best.

M.O.T.

5 Likes

I’d say Norwich have the best forward line in the league. Unfortunately it’s matched with one of the worst defences.

Unless Barrow score 4 in the next 3 minutes, Wrexham are up. Back to back promotions. Will open a bottle of fizz in about 5 mins.

Quite happy at the moment :beer:

2 Likes

Congratulations @mikehughescq .

Your season is clearly going even worse than ours…

2 Likes