Football Season 2024/25

Blimey, Sheffield United away in the Carabao. Thank the lord there’s no Billy Sharp :slight_smile:

Dubbed a journey “to Elland back” in today’s Evening News.

1 Like

I recall that being the Yorkshire Evening Post headline post the European Cup Final in 1975. I didn’t become a student there until 1982 but had the pleasure of learning all about this as I was on my first ever school trip abroad (Belgium) and we had the pleasure of coming back on a ferry with Leeds fans who were slightly the worse for wear and very very angry. With them was the YEP journalist who wrote the headline.

Despite having been to many many games involving Wales and Scotland that is still the most vomit I have seen at one time in one place. The Scots can hold their alcohol. Yorkshiremen really can’t. A few subsequently reinforced by 3 years as a student there plus lots of post grad activities and visits.

2 Likes

@dave-marshall - Dave, any thoughts on this new signing of ours, Joe Rothwell?

I have read a bit about him but never heard of him!

Peter

From what I can gather, he’s in a similar mould to Klich, in that he does like to drive forward with the ball, and isn’t afraid to have a shot, something lacking in our present midfielders.

Seems a decent acquisition, especially with rumours of Kamara’s possible departure, and headless chicken Aaronson’s return to Elland Road.

M.O.T.

1 Like

Klich was great but he did leave a huge hole in midfield - I hope Ampadu can fill that gap. Glad to see Rodon back.

1 Like

And Rodon seems more than happy to be back.

Although he struck up a solid backline partnership with Ampadu, I’m hoping that Struijk can slot in there just as effectively on his return, allowing Amps to move forward into midfield, and if we can retain one or both of Kamara and Gruev we’ll be fine.

Of course, the icing on the cake would be for a couple of the Academy lads to make a breakthrough, Archie Gray style.

M.O.T.

1 Like

On loan at St Mary’s last season. Played a few mostly as a sub - very good when he came on, scored four goals in sixteen appearances. Never understood why he wasn’t starting more often, but that’s the management for ya!

I was hoping we’d sign him. Age against him, perhaps?

1 Like

I’ve just been invited on LinkedIn to follow Gary Lineker and Gary Neville, urm no thanks!

1 Like

Given that our aim for this season has to just be to stay in L1 I can only applaud what I’ve seen in pre season. It’s all about tactics and fitness of course but last night especially was eye opening. I still think anything above 15th will be a magnificent achievement but it seems unlikely to result in crowds levelling off if we play like that every now and again.

@JohnF and @Canaryfan,

I see The Mighty Whites are being linked with Gabriel Sara, according to the gossip columns.

I remember you guys singing his praises during last season, so how good is he, given that we’re still seeking a replacement number 10 for the mercurial Pablo Hernandez?

M.O.T.

He’s a class act. Like all good players he has time on the ball and also scores some spectacular goals.
Definitely worth his place in the end of season championship side last year.
I hope we keep him but would think if he goes, not being funny, it will be to a top European club as there’s been a bit of interest already.
I’ll be very disappointed if he goes for less than £20 million.

To be fair, it’s just been the usual “insider” bollox columns reporting this, and there’s been no comment from Elland Road at all, so who knows?

Still, he sounds like a good 'un, and as I mentioned, we still miss Pablo The Magician.

M.O.T.

You’ll be pleased to hear that in this months 442 fans preview their season. Usually people who run a site, podcast etc. Yours has you winning the title.

1 Like

Today’s tittle tattle insider columns claim that Summerville to The Iron is now virtually a done deal, so I do hope The Mighty Whites will now start talking seriously with Norwich about a suitable fee to allow Sara to move to Elland Road.

Together with Ampadu, we’d have a proper midfield once again. :pray:

3 Likes

In other news, the Mighty Whites new away kit is a complete nostalgia fest, harking back to the all yellow smiley face kit from the seventies.

I knew it would be a big seller, especially with folks who wouldn’t usually bother with a shirt, but who couldn’t resist the trip down memory lane. and 15,000 sold on the first day isn’t bad going.

I think it looks great, as does grandson number 2, who’s not had it off his back since it arrived.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

Have you ordered yours yet Dave? :rofl:

1 Like

Nay lad.

1 Like

Yes, very retro. I’m not at all sure about that Red Bull thing though.

I’d love to see shirts without the smash all over them: manufacturer logos, stripes, sponsors, slogans on sleeves, idiotic geometric patterns, etc.

Amazingly, in the land of the almighty dollar, pro teams (apart from MLS, sadly) tend not to allow advertising on the hallowed “uniforms.” Bhoyo approves.

1 Like

Fortunately, Red Bull aren’t allowed to have their sponsor’s logo on the kids’ or youths’ shirts, which look all the better for that, though Adidas still plaster their logo everywhere.

Just as a footnote, it transpires that the first ever replica kit appeared in 1973 as the result of a chat over a cuppa, between Don Revie and the folks from Admiral.

And parents’ wallets have been feeling the pinch ever since.

M.O.T.

2 Likes