Fraim space

Hi Dave, glad you are pleased. Can you describe the sound differences? I’ve got Clive visiting on Monday arriving 10-11am. You are welcome too. Just 3 miles from J13.

Phil

It is hard to believe shelving makes the difference it does but once you hear what it does it makes a lot more sense of the system presentation and removes such a lot of grunge from the sound that lets you enjoy the music more is what I found. Enjoy! :bear:

DB.

1 Like

Congrats Dave. I’ve literally just joined the club and successfully bid for a Black/Silver used Fraim on fleabay. All day in the car tomorrow to go and collect it from Coventry, but I’m certainly hoping it’ll be worth it. I’m sure it will be :grin:

1 Like

Excellent! Well done. You certainly will not regret it. I found building it to be thoroughly enjoyable. With Richard’s guide it all makes perfect sense when you have the components in front of you and the engineering of the Fraim really is something very special.

The ‘ding’ and ‘dong’ of the glass when you rapp it with your knuckle is real, the quality of each component is first class and cable dressing is so much easier than with my 4 legged set up. Brilliant, just brilliant and worth every penny IMHO.

The way it now makes my system sound is also very special and it genuinely is a proper SQ upgrade. Everything sounds just so right.

A system at the level I’m lucky enough to have does need a support that enables it to sing at its best and that is the Fraim.

Look forward to hearing your experience with set up and sound.

Best

David

1 Like

I rebuilt the Fraim this afternoon and inserted the Fraim chips underneath the carpet onto the chipboard. It was not straightforward and took quite a while to get all base spikes mounted properly in the centre of the chips. Well worth doing however; further improvements particularly in the bass response which is tighter and more coherent.
Thanks @ChrisSU for the guidance on getting the chips under the carpet and underlay.

1 Like

The Fraim upgrade is one of the best things I have done. The more boxes you have, the more benefit. Richard said 15cm. That is what I have currently. When I re-set my system soon, I intend to do 30 or even 45cm. It makes it easier to dust and to swap boxes and cables. I also intend to add a third stack for the turntable and Superline.

Naim 500 System [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/27667057@N07/]

5 Likes

Good to hear you have it set up successfully. It’s a bit awkward getting everything together once the Chips have disappeared under the carpet. I now have polished floorboards and rugs, which makes setup so much easier.

1 Like

Thanks @ChrisSU

I really am kicking myself that I took so long to get the Fraim.

It’s more than equivalent to a black box upgrade.

5 Likes

I have my Fraim sitting on a hard ceramic flooring, would Fraim Chips add any value or would they only come handy for soft/carpeted flooring?

Fraim chips are essential on something like a wooden floor. The problem with a wooden floor is that no matter how hard the surface appears to be, over time the spikes sink into the wood. In doing so the performance of the Fraim becomes ever more compromised as the spikes couple were ever more securely to the wooden floor, and the Fraim may even go slightly out of level - oh, and you get nasty spike holes in the wood too.

On a hard ceramic floor they are probably only really necessary if you’re concerned about the spikes marking or scratching the floor in any way.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.