Frame/frame lite mix n match

Hi all,

I need to buy an extra shelf. I have a 3 shelf framelite. I was just thinking I could get a full fat fraim shelf for the top and put my NDX2 on it. It’s £400 vs £650.

Any experiences of full fat fraim for sources and framelite for the muscle? I guess aesthetically it should look ok with just a glass shelf on the top of the rack?

Thanks,
Rich

Do you think you could stretch to a Fraim Base?
It would give you the extra shelf with Decoupled Glass section that you could put at the top and would give you the added benefit of the extra decoupling at the bottom.
If you get a full Fraim base, you can then steadily upgrade each shelf in time to migrate to a full fat Fraim by just buying the glass shelf kits I believe.

1 Like

Unfortunately not: the shelf design is quite different between Fraim and FraimLite. I was hopeful I could do a similar gradual upgrade trick but James at TomTom soon showed me it wouldn’t work. My FraimLite is lovely, though!

Mark

1 Like

I currently have two racks one for brains which is predominantly full fat Fraim, but there is one FraimLite level at the top. The brawn side is current all FraimLite, my objective is to slowly swap out the FraimLite shelves as and when used/ex-demo Fraim units become available. Personally I’ve had no issues mixing and matching the units, it all fits together perfectly. I’ve also seen plenty of other folk who do similar.

1 Like

Yes, you can put a full Fraim level on top of a Fraim-lite rack. It would also be worth trying the 282on the top level, with the NDX2 below it.

1 Like

I agree with Mike, try the 282 on top.

2 Likes

I was referring to keeping the Lite shelves and adding glass to them - this isn’t possible.

Swapping out a whole Lite shelf for a Fraim shelf + glass is perfectly possible, as you say.

Mark

1 Like

Yes, this is possible as well, plenty of users on here have done it. While the FraimLite doesn’t have the indents like the actual Fraim shelves, it can still be done.

1 Like

Certainty is… I use glass cut to size and stainless steel nuts and ball bearings.

2 Likes

I do the opposite. I have full Fraim and finish off the tops with Fraimlite shelves.

3 Likes

Here is a picture of one of my stacks. As you can see, it’s a mix of Fraim, FraimLite, and FraimLite with glass shelf. I had the glass cut to size. The cup and balls are genuine Naim and can be picked up easily online.

1 Like

Out of interest, so you have the fraimlite with glass shelve on top for aesthetic reasons? I’m wondering what a fraim on top would like like, with it’s more extreme cut out shape on the wood? It’s obviously the most visible shelf when you walk past it.
Do you drill a hole, glue or blue tak the bearings in place?
Thanks,
Rich

I’m a persistent offender.

Full Fraim just for the CDX2. Though this system is mostly made from leftovers I bought the full shelf especially as I knew how much the CDX2 liked it. At the time this was a second home.

Again not a current picture, the main system in the same corner as above, as was a year ago and before I moved for the last time.

I still can’t bring myself to buy the full Fraim shelves I’d need to replace all the Lite but I do wish I’d just bought full Fraim from the off.

1 Like

Hi Rich,

It’s a fair point, and something I hadn’t considered before. My system is a bit of a mess at the minute. I need to drop my TT wall bracket as the cable from a recently fitted Prefix is to short to reach the 252 in its usual space. When I fix that I’ll re-gig the shelves.

The cups aren’t fixed at all, it just lined the, up with the ones on the Fraim.

Thanks,
Andy

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.