From nait xs, upgrade to where?

I am so glad you love the 82. It’s a great buy and I have had mine for about 4 years now. Everything else has been changed over apart from the 82. How are you getting on with the 250.2?

Best wishes,

Dan

Hi @Dan_M it all sounds great. I have heard some negative impressions of the 250.2 but only have the nait xs to compare it to and its a big improvement, obviously much of that will be the nac82 but the bass is much improved. I do plan to convert it to dr but am going to try and demo one first as it’s another biggish outlay. You were right about my speakers though, they do sound different and better. I’m going to keep them for a while longer I think. Thanks again.

1 Like

The Spendor A7 is waaaay too much for 16m2. The A2 will be more than enough to get you going here.

Just do things gradually. Your 250.2 will be fantastic as it is. A DR upgrade is not essential. A service if it is more than 10 years old may be in order.

The DR is an improvement by all accounts but before DR just bare in mind that a 52 , 135 system was the ultimate.

Consider 135s as well. They are beasts and were the top of the range power amps before the 500.

I have 2 CB 135s into the 82 with Supercap 2. All serviced and they sound tremendous.

I don’t know if you listen to your music loud or not but the 135s have enabled me to pump up the volume without any overheating issues as they have fans and more power.

@Dan_M OK, thanks for advice. I did have to 250 in for service but big delays on parts so just had the hicap done in the end. When I looked at the naim site re: dr upgrades they make you pay for service as well as dr upgrade now, for performance consistency I expect. So as I am considering I thought I’d hold off on service from class a. The amp sounds great and as bought from TomTom it was tested and is covered. I’ll look into 135s but more boxes (running out of space) and big money…for me. Really loving the sound from 82 and 250. Even for TV and films I find myself staying through the end credits listening to the music as so beguiling!

1 Like

@Dan_M ps. Not sure what loud is to you. I had the Idles live at bataclan record on at 10 o’clock on the dial at the weekend and it sounded very loud to me.:grin:

1 Like

If I play loud 9 o’clock is normally loud enough. If going 10 o’clock I found 250 would overheat and cut out after sustained periods of loud music. The 135s have fans and never cut out in my experience!

A 250 is sufficient but 135s can work out a lot cheaper than a 250 DR. Yes, an extra box! But I love 'em. Extra separation and wider soundstage.

Same kind of sound but a fair bit better. They were Naim’s top power amps prior to the 500 and were matched with 32 and HiCap back in the day. And of course the 6 pack of 135s.

I have 2 and use one for each speaker. They are really good amps. Would highly recommend.

Oh that’s interesting? I’ve not had that issue yet, but my vinyl tends to be less loud than the digital. If I get chance to hear the 135s at some point that would be interesting. I have to say though this is my first real jump up to a more serious system and I am surprised at how much better it sounds to the integrated amp. I am pleased with the advice given. I had not got on my radar an older used setup and having taken the punt I am very impressed.:+1:

This does not sound right. I also tend to go to 9-9:30 max, and 10 is certainly loud but not insanely so. Certainly should not be a reason for a 250 to overheat and turn off if it is healthy, the speaker cables are appropriate, and the speakers are suitable regarding impedance (not dipping below 2 ohms significantly)

@conlegno thanks. I was looking at many upgrade options and thought about speakers, I have Neat Motive Se2s and thought about a double price upgrade which would be about 3-4 grand budget. However after the recent pre and power upgrade to 82/250 its brought more out in my speakers so am pleased. It seems a genuine challenge though going for higher end speaker that fit in small to medium rooms.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.