Fury v Ursyk

Anybody else watching and looking forward to the fight the first undisputed Heavyweight Champion since Lennox Lewis unified the division 25 years ago. Should be a belter.

1 Like

Well done to Ursyk I was surprised that it was even a split decision I had him as clear winner if Tyson Fury didn’t know it already when the rematch comes around he is dealing with a seriously good fighter.

1 Like

I think the biggest surprise is that people are ever surprised how good Usyk is.

Classy champ, granite tough, shades of Holyfield at his peak with his ability to compete with bigger guys.

Not that pundits are a measure but out of the 5 on Sky Sport’s coverage 4 predicted an Usyk win. The cynical side of me might thank that a Fury win in October would set up a a third and ‘final’ decider which is already contracted for.

Only a blind man could have scored the fight a win for Fury but one did and the third and deciding judge only had Ursyk ahead by the knockout scoring the fight six rounds each. Although Fury looked comfortable early on it was Ursyk who won the opening 3 rounds Tyson Fury then come back to win 4, 5 and 6 with seven being even but after the knockdown in the 9th it was all Ursyk.

Fury has an awkward and fluid style but for me the lack of a dedicated lifestyle means he doesn’t have the stamina to sustain pressure, which given his weapon is combination punches as opposed to a hammer blow is a real issue.

Usyk is the complete opposite, his conditioning means he can keep constant pressure on opponent.

Usyk took him apart in round 9, only Fury’s height meant his body could bounce off the ropes as he was falling.

Oh and before I forget, best of luck today, here’s hoping you can have a little bit of Istanbul in your locker today.

1 Like

On the scoring, yes agree, Fury won 3 rounds but other than a couple of near edged rounds Usyk battered him.

Massive contrast in the corners too, how Fury is supposed to understand anything from his trainer when his dad is in his other ear and the rest of them jumping about, well, again totally different to the calm in Usyk camp.

1 Like

Two huge men attempting to give each other brain damage

2 Likes

When I started this thread I knew I’d get posts from people who are anti boxing as a sport and everyone is entitled to their opinion and their beliefs.

1 Like

True, but for once I do think there is a wider context of what this means for the people of Ukraine.

2 Likes

Just watched the brief highlights on Sky website. It looked like a fight between a seriously toned athlete and a big overweight guy.

1 Like

One could easily say that. Fury was, relatively trim by his standards, think he has tipped near 30 stone in between fights at his heaviest.

That sort of weight fluctuations will always catch up with someone. Funny thing is that Usyk isn’t small, think he is 6ft 3, just that Fury is 6 foot 8 or 9 I think.

I thought Tyson Fury acted with true sportsmanship and dignity afterwards paying due respect to a wonderful fighter. Fury has gone a long way up in my estimation.

1 Like

Usyk is a West Ham supporter.

Just saying.

1 Like

He was a bit variable, he clearly lost and claimed it was a decision because Ukraine at war and influenced the decision but then went on to give praise to Usyk.

There’s definitely respect between the two of them which was good to see.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.