Fuse direction

Hi, just setting my kit up in its new room. While I’m at it I thought I’d give it the royal treatment and give the fuses a clean up. I can’t seem to find any old topics concerning fused direction. I’m sure they are at there best but I can’t remember if I’ve checked Nap 135’s when I got them. Could somebody please set me straight. Im on the other side of the earth so it’s opposite to you guys just like the water spins the other way down the drain.
Thanks in advance.

Item one in FAQ’s might help you.

1 Like

Thank you. Hmm I did a search but did not view frequently questions👍

@anon32455950

Indeed. I’m very ocd about these things.
Cheers

1 Like

I think the fuse Naim use in ther Powerline has an arrow for direction and possibly in the box instructions.

I had actually misread your previous post and thought you still had not found it, that’s why I posted the link

Richard gives direction instructions in the linked FAQ

Having just checked the 13A fuses in my Naim (standard) mains leads, they have no kitemarks. Is there a ‘correct’ direction for these?

For what it may be worth, the text on the fuses reads:
MARBO
13 AMP
BS1362
MB

Mark

The kite mark is on the IEC inlet equipment fuse.

Hi Richard, short of trying and get all mixed up what is the recommended fuse directionality for the 135’s keeping in mind they are horizontal. Luckily enough I still have the original fuses in them. They are from 88’ but have the olive clothing, must of been just on the change over. Being down under I’ll put them in opposite to what the UK recommendation is👍
Also my T4 Armageddon fuse blew i have replaced it with locally sourced generic fast blow fuse, think it’s a f4? (Sorry my eyes aren’t what they used to be) so to my question, because the amageddon is a power supply for my lp12 motor would I have any audio downgrade from using that fuse? Sorry it is all new to me and I’ve not had the opportunity to study it with heart to date.
I found the Armageddon wall plugged needed a tighten up at the terminals which seems to of remedied the issue.
Thank you very much.

Naim uses delayed blow fuses not fast blow fuses.

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks Dave, I did take the blown fuse into the shop, the young service person said it’s a fast blow fuse. I did say are you sure?as I have read the Frequently asked questions section. It’s definitely the original fuse that I took in as it has the heart sign on one end. Will look into it more thanks for the head up.

Here is the replacement. He told me this is the equivalent!!
Looks like I’ll need to go shopping again. Fortunately they’re really cheap I grad five of them for $4

The T4 bit is really important! The fuses used by Naim are made by the Litel company and Naim thinks they sound better, but as long as it is T4 and the right amperage rating, which is written on the back of the Naim case next to the mains power input, then it will work fine and be safe.

If you try to use an F4, it will likely blow immediately you turn on, and if not the first time, then within the next two or three times you turn on. (The reason for the T4 slow blow fuse is that it’s normal for there to be a short spike of current as the transformer warms up, but if you happen to turn it on at the precise moment that the AC voltage crosses zero, then you may be OK that time with a fast blow fuse.)

Best

David

1 Like

No, this is the wrong one. It must be a T fuse (T=time delay) to the exact same rating/spec as the old one.

More on Naim fuses can be read here:

1 Like

I shall return them and ask for my $4 back. I did ask the local naim retailer and they did tell me where to source them over here as they did not stock fuses…I know nuts eh. Because it is Saturday in Kiwi land the fuse suppliers shop was closed. I had a friend coming over to check out the new set up so I did compromise the situation with a desperate run to the local fast food outlet you could say.
Will be sure to get it right at first chance. Thanks Dave for the information. Cheers👍

You know that there is a spare fuse in each Naim unit? It should be in the fuse holder where the broken fuse was.

Best

David

Hi Dave, it’s an olive Armageddon I can’t seem to find any spare fuse in this one. Think the spare fuse started with the classic series.
Cheers Mate

Very likely!

Anyway I hope you sort it out.

Best

David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.