Gardening

It’s part of the plan. I live nearby Wageningen University which has developed a treatment. They do the analysis in a lab, another company does the treatment and once done, they do another test.

The treatment is basically a ‘jacket’ for the tree which stays on 42 deg Celsius for 48 hours. This kills the bacteria. I noticed the infection last year for the first time and after the hot summer weeks getting close to 40 deg I had the impression that the infection reduced.

(In Dutch, but I’m sure google can help you)

2 Likes

First of the year

7 Likes

Bless

What is it?

Looks like a hedgehog

So they’re found all over Europe, for some strange reason I thought they were only in the UK. Stupid Aussies. :grin:

1 Like

Yes. Since we bought our house I’ve every year seen hedgehogs. We are doing a major garden renovation and it’s great to see that even now there is one.

2 Likes

I guess we think there’s not much wildlife left in mainland Europe. It’s nice to have wild in your yard imo it connects you to something greater.

1 Like

We put two hedgehog houses in our gardens,for the last couple of years we’ve had one regular visitor,but over this last winter we’ve witnessed upto three hogs.
We’ve also set up wildlife cameras and a security “ live” camera which has filmed two males doing battle over the one female. Only one of the houses has been occupied,but we have caught them mating,so possibly we might see some hoglets shortly.

2 Likes

We have them in our garden occasionally as well.

Really ?

1 Like

We don’t have any 'roos but most other things - Deer, wild boar, coypu, stoats, weasel,fox, badger, Hedgehogs, dormouse that live in trees, squirrels, pine marten and field marten, hare around here but few rabbits. That’s just within a few hundred yards of me. Further afield a few wolves up in the mountains. Lots of birds of prey red and black kites, snake and golden eagle, kestrel, buzzards etc. Most unusual to me is this fella

Not something we see in the UK.

2 Likes

What is that, what weird looking bird.

My post re wildlife was a little tongue in cheek but it does surprise me that you have all those critters so close.

It’s a Hoopoe

1 Like

We are lucky here, second least populated area in France. Bird is a Hoopoe, common in Europe apparently. Not very social so you hear them more than see them and they are loud sounding something like a cuckoo. They eat a poisonous caterpillar which we have on some of our pine trees so we get to see them particularly at this time of year as the caterpillars move down the trunk of the trees where they have spent the winter, and crawl in a long snake like line in to holes in the ground to form chrysalis and eventually emerge later in the year as moths.

1 Like

My beloved acer survived the big chop. Was worried I left it too late. I may take more next year

Atb
Kk

7 Likes

Congratulations to Australia - you’re through to the Eurovision final!

Nodded off on the sofa watching the political Question Time show last night - when I woke at around 5am I saw Hannah Waddingham was one of the hosts for the second heat on iPlayer - I’ll now definitely be watching:

Those hips, blimey! If looks could kill…

Beats gardening :wink:

3 Likes

Some stunning acers from @keanoking and @Count.d. I need to cut back mine as they’ve grown like triffids over the winter. Will have to wait.

One of my favourites is the springtime acid green colour of Acer ‘Jordan’. Always catches my eye from inside the house.

The view from my window at dusk this evening.

7 Likes

First rose of the season in bloom – ‘Desdemona’ (Auskindling).

And another favourite at dusk – beautiful.

3 Likes

Thanks @Alley_Cat I’m so excited that we’ve made the final I can hardly sleep. :wink:

As for Hannah’s hips (and other features) I’m not quite sure what they have in common with gardening other than any comment I could/would make I’d require a shovel to get me out of the hole I’d just dug myself into. :grin:

2 Likes