Gardening

Some stunning acers from @keanoking and @Count.d. I need to cut back mine as they’ve grown like triffids over the winter. Will have to wait.

One of my favourites is the springtime acid green colour of Acer ‘Jordan’. Always catches my eye from inside the house.

The view from my window at dusk this evening.

7 Likes

First rose of the season in bloom – ‘Desdemona’ (Auskindling).

And another favourite at dusk – beautiful.

3 Likes

Thanks @Alley_Cat I’m so excited that we’ve made the final I can hardly sleep. :wink:

As for Hannah’s hips (and other features) I’m not quite sure what they have in common with gardening other than any comment I could/would make I’d require a shovel to get me out of the hole I’d just dug myself into. :grin:

2 Likes

Weeding?

It’s pretty prunent here.

More like trimming :grin:

Repotted a couple of cherry blossom trees I’ve been trying to grow for a couple of years.

Advice on where to position them would be appreciated. In the sun, in the shade or combination of both.

2 Likes

I would grow them in full sun if possible. Keeping them in containers does increase the risk of damage in hot dry weather, so maybe give them a bit if shade if you can’t plant them in the ground.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve known hedgehogs to live in New Zealand my entire life. A quick google reveals that they were bought here by the British in the 1870’s.

1 Like

Funny I never knew that. Hope they’re not the same disaster that all the other introduced species have been.

2 Likes

Finally got around to having the garden re-turfed and put in x7 raised beds made from pallet-collars.

I’m stacking them two high (approx 400mm) but can I ask what the best approach is for filling them please ?

I was thinking:

• Layer of cardboard (as a weed barrier)
  • Layer of Chip bark / leftover stones (drainage)
  • Peet free compost mixed with top soil

I have a local B&Q which I’m going to tomorrow so any pointers of what to buy would be appreciated.

A few pics from today. Best my wisteria has looked. Took years to first flower

Atb
Kk

9 Likes

Thanks.

I’ve put them in a spot that provides sunlight from 11am to 4pm.

Against a wall that runs north to south, so they won’t get too hot.

An excellent question, but first a few questions:
What is your soil type, how deep and wide / long are the beds, and what do you want to grow?

I used the guidance in the ‘square foot’ guide: one third each of soil, compost and vermiculite. I did not bother with cardboard because the site had been levelled, and the natural soil depth was just 3 inches.

I started with three beds then added two more. For the latter two I used a modified hugelkultur method, see: Hugelkultur – Raised Garden Bed – Juliana Group Ltd and The Many Benefits of Hugelkultur - Permaculture . However I have added a lot of compost to these beds, and they are only half full so I may have to add more of the original mix of soil, compost and vermiculite. I have also had a few deliveries of top soil delivered as I ran out of my own soil.

Overgrown/gone wild is correct for mine…

The wisteria, passion fruit (I could swear I never purchased it) and various other things have engulfed a small tree which was never very sturdy but I fear that if I cut them all back the tree will fall over.

The mess offers a bit of privacy currently especially as next door may be extending close to the wall behind these things. we’ve also got the prospect of 18 months of development in a church hall maybe 200m away which is being converted into flats and raised another storey which will overlook most of our gardens. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Seem to have many enormous sow thistles (I think) which have appeared from nowhere this year too.

I’m letting certain areas go wild currently, partly for insects partly to stop local moggies using bare soil.

I need to re-seed some lawn (an area previously covered with pretty much bare soil underneath) - covered that with wire mesh but the cats must be incredibly dexterous as they’ve managed to crap in the smallest bare patch I had covered but not quite at ground level.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I have no soil to use from the garden so will have to buy it in.

I am planning on growing the following:

• Leeks
  • Carrots
  • Potatoes
  • Lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Spring onions

Great selection of veggies.
I tried various bulk sources of soil: local and National. Some very very sandy others had manure / mushroom compost mixed. Some vendor provide a typical mineral analysis, most don’t - hence the need for good compost to replenish organic matter in the soil.

I like the modified hugelkultur method, where branches form the foundation to the raised beds., which I covered with the soil/compost/ vermiculite mix in the spring. I planted beans and potatoes in the first year followed by chard in late summer. The beds were then covered with mushroom compost in the autumn.

I wanted to be different with a white wisteria. I regret it. The purple is the best. One shot of the garden that needs so much attention that I don’t give it

Atb
Kk

8 Likes

The wisteria on the left magically comes to life.

6 Likes

Nature🙏

1 Like