Gardening

Intriguing

I am very :jigsaw: d

1 Like

A little bit of schoolboy geometry C = 2Ļ€r

Off the press two plant supports (or halos for an iron Angel!)

4 Likes

Not any effort of gardening, but none the less in the garden.

Sometimes you have to just let nature do its thing.

5 Likes

Love your work here. Nice one. Itā€™s what stimulates the brain. Iā€™d be thinking of making them in stainless now. Change of wire and gas, but I know thatā€™s where Iā€™d be.

1 Like

Think you need to start your own thread with ā€˜estateā€™ in the title.

3 Likes

Trick of the light probably.
Large garden/field but that tree is close to the house and the pic is taken looking past the tree towards the bottom corner of the garden.

1 Like

Before & after:

Every single piece of stone got used on the dry-stone wall, could have done with better quality on the top to finish but left with the dregs and odd bits that didnā€™t want to fit anywhere easy so this is the best i can do, but iā€™m very pleased how it turned out.

A surplus of top-soil remains but this has a place out front to wheelbarrow to when ready.
The higher ground garden area has been plastic sheeted and covered in loose gravel 25 years ago by previous occupant, i want rid of the plastic sheet, the small-stone gravel can be moved and re-cycled but could do with some useful advice upon how to plant out the top area which is riddled with apple tree roots just a few inches below the surface.

I donā€™t like the idea of removing the trees but this maybe the only way forward if i want plants to survive, and from what i understand about grass (a lawn) is that could prevent the trees from gaining enough water, and shrubs would need to compete (and probably loose).

8 Likes

As I understand with apple trees, you need to dig the stumps out or they can continue to shoot ā€“ I had this. The roots on mine (smaller than yours) were quite extensive.

Another matter is ground swell post removal, which can take several years to emerge/finish. It looks like a wall is adjacent (?), which would preclude basic stump-grinding in any event.

Of course, if the trees are providing a valuable screen, how do you replace this(?).

1 Like

The 3 foot high fence is due for replacement later this year, the new fence will be 5 foot.
Been meaning to do this for years because the beyond is a road and (especially in winter) car headlights tend to shine over the top of the fence. A higher fence would give far better privacy. The neighbours are okay with this plan.

Two apple trees and a pear tree; would be a shame to remove them, perhaps a way of landscaping a couple of 18" high brick walled square plot areas for plants and have gravel around for accessā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

FYI, in my clay-riddled environment, the apple trees didnā€™t regress the grass much, a bigger problem was the fruit dropping to ground, often post bug contamination. Another issue though is that apple trees should have regular (knowledgeable) husbandry (inc. bough removal) ā€“ - one reason mine were removed was that I couldnā€™t keep up with trimming the leaders each year, and 2 werenā€™t fruiting very well.

Interesting suggestions here:

Especially the references to low nutrient soils.
Do you have plans for vegetables? If so I would recommend a no dig approach.

3 Likes

I would describe the soil here as fairly good to work with albeit over clay. My garden isnā€™t very big, and is directly at rear of house so intend to get it looking recreational and agreeable with the cats.

2 Likes

Wonderful article and reminds me of a garden we used to admire when passing on a regular journey, the colours absolutely glowed. One day it featured in a National Garden Scheme day. Talking to the owner it was so simple, the soil was exceptionally stony, the planting - verbena at the back, lavender at right angles against a fence. A band of California poppies, then deep crimson dianthus finished off with aubretia cascading down a wall.
It was covered in butterflies.

2 Likes

Catmintā€¦

2 Likes

A lull in the cricket and rain took me into the garden to harvest some garlic, and on a whim, some potatoes. Some observations:

The garlic are a mixture of hard and soft stems, and a few have some orphans on the stem. Overall a better crop than last year.

The potatoes are Charlottes, which are disappointing this year; not just in quantity but also flavour. They are grown in tubs, with plenty of room, but I suspect they were hit by the strange weather since they were planted at Easter.

a

7 Likes

Interestingly, my Charlottes have been the best they have been for several years. Last yearā€™s crop was almost completely wiped out by blight but this yearā€™s are just lovely

1 Like

My allotment in full veg producing mode. I planted some globe artichokes this year and just had my first fruit (although Iā€™ve had to pick it and throw away as youā€™re supposed to encourage plant growth rather than fruit production in the first year). Iā€™ve put 4 plants in and when established I should get 12 artichokes per plant each season so very excited about that

8 Likes

Changed the fence.

Itā€™s pressure treated already, but applied 2 coats of wax-free Roxil Wood Preserver via paint brush into every recess.

Then treated them with 3 coats of Roxil Enhanced Decking Oil. This contains a biocide. Itā€™s a good consistancey and takes longer to soak in, but worth the wait, I think. Iā€™ve used Barrettine All In One Decking Oil Treatment, but found it a bit thin and was disappointed with the formation of mould under the surface on another project, even though it apparently contains biocide. After the 3 general coats of oil, thereā€™s a further 3 coats on the top/sides most exposed areas. Water beading nicely. In the oil, I mixed small quantity of Blackfriars wood dye to give a little more colour depth and touch more UV resistance. I like the Roxil range. Each one seems more professional and the contents better thought through.

The colour is a little green/blue due to the copper pressure treatment, but that will fade.

Painting the panels 5-8 times on all surfaces and upside down is a pain.

6 Likes

I was disappointed with artichokes last year - but had not realised about encouraging fruit production. As a result Iā€™ve left the fruit this year, despite there being many more than last year. Iā€™ve wondered if I could plant the fruit to generate more plants?

You can grow plants from offsets (or suckers) from existing plants or you can split plants. RHS website has details

1 Like