Gardening

How it used to look

14 Likes

Ok own up! Who’s hidden, half inched, my dibber? I interrogated the usual suspects: the dog, hens, and gardener (me). No own owns up to moving, hiding or borrowing my dibber; so I had to improvise with a stick and smallest trowel to put in my second batch of broad beans. There is room for six more plants in the largest of the raised beds, but the seedlings are too small.

Ok, it’s probably my fault; if I cared more about organising my precious tools than cataloging my music then the dibber would not have gone awol after I last cleaned it. It must be around the house somewhere …

3 Likes

I would lend you mine, if I could remember where I put it.

I don’t often fully lose tools but they have an alarming habit of going walkabout . I now try and have duplicates …

2 Likes

Officer Dibble is on the case!

6 Likes

I think he has his dibber in his hand. :+1:

3 Likes

One of my favourite allotment jobs each year - building the bean frames

12 Likes

Red onion sets went in today, filling a gap between peas and beans.

3 Likes

Reminds me of my grandparents. Spending summer holidays watching Tour de France and walking in their garden. They had lots of beans too, dry & dusty sand between them. I should find a spot for the beans too.

3 Likes

It’s been three months since I moved three tree ferns to a new position. It was quite brutal taking a saw to them but they appear to be thriving.

Pics taken this evening from my listening snug.

God bless cow parsley - one of the joys of spring.

12 Likes

Trees ferns are more resilient than many realise. Mine are coming back better than ever this year. I just place straw in the crown before the frosts.
The only time I’ve lost any was during a sustained cold spell a few years ago.

8 Likes

Ours last year at two years in.
It has a couple of goldfish to get rid of the mosquitoes….

4 Likes

Just spent an hour picking the dreaded box caterpillar off my box topiary. I might be lucky.

1 Like

This stuff is excellent.

2 Likes

Thanks - I did a google search and that came up.

1 Like

How come your hostas are not being devoured by slugs???

Fortunately a number of frogs have appeared from somewhere. The blue colours also appear to be more slug resistant.

1 Like

You’re right about blue hostas. Can I borrow some of your frogs? They would be well looked after…

2 Likes

I’ve got a few in the pond that should be ready soon.

2 Likes

There is (IMHO) no better colour combination than blue(ish) and yellow.

8 Likes

Anyone used biochar as a soil improver?