Gardening

If you want my opinion, just let me know.

Wisteria? …very nice!

How long has it grown there and what’s holding it up?

Thanks, yes Wisteria. It was here when we moved in 2013. There is a thin section of metal frame that holds it. Pics below.
Last year it had so few blooms and an excess of green that I thought of hard pruning it back to the trunk. I didn’t but did give it a severe pruning at the end of June ( 2 months after flowering). That and the unusually wet weather both through the year and particularly this winter, seems to have revived it.

5 Likes

Prune twice year. Once in July to tidy it back up from the long growth and the important hard prune back to 3-5 buds in Jan/Feb. This is the more important one. It’s the law for wisteria.

1 Like

When will it stop raining and warm up? Asking for a friend.

Tim

6 Likes

The gardener has been busy and added irrigation as well as lotsa plants.

9 Likes

You don’t pay him enough he needs a bigger tractor😉

9 Likes

A couple of pics before everything starts to fade. Best display across these shrubs since we have been here.The winter rains followed by a warm start to the spring has bought them all out together.

12 Likes

Super display. There’s something magical about late April.

Combined with the anticipation of the glories of May.

2 Likes

Thank you. It was all nature. My simple efforts are to prune back when finished flowering and then hope it grows for next year.

3 Likes

I’ve bought an hazelnut today:

I’m still looking for a good spot where to plant it.

2 Likes

Good idea, hazelnut will grow anywhere.

1 Like

Indeed, it suits most places. I think I’m going to plant it next to my obelisk beech tree in which I saw a squirel last year.

Some recent images from the garden of endless toil.

12 Likes

We planted a hazelnut tree but eventually got rid of it as it acted as a magnet for every squirrel in a 5 mile radius :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Messing around in the garden whist I’ve been off work . When we moved in 1 year ago the pond we inherited was 3’x5’ and only 9inch deep with 14 fish in poor things . So I started digging and now it’s 12’x16’ and 3’ deep at the deepest point . Oh and the new bit of paving as well .

3 Likes

How it used to look

15 Likes

Ok own up! Who’s hidden, half inched, my dibber? I interrogated the usual suspects: the dog, hens, and gardener (me). No own owns up to moving, hiding or borrowing my dibber; so I had to improvise with a stick and smallest trowel to put in my second batch of broad beans. There is room for six more plants in the largest of the raised beds, but the seedlings are too small.

Ok, it’s probably my fault; if I cared more about organising my precious tools than cataloging my music then the dibber would not have gone awol after I last cleaned it. It must be around the house somewhere …

3 Likes

I would lend you mine, if I could remember where I put it.

I don’t often fully lose tools but they have an alarming habit of going walkabout . I now try and have duplicates …

2 Likes

Officer Dibble is on the case!

7 Likes