Gardening

Choice snowdrop Pieces of Eight. I like snowdrops.

6 Likes

Task completed, 5 days work in glorious weather last week.

8 Likes

How are your hens ?

Hopefully doing well?

Ian

It took all my powers of persuasion to persuade the police that my neighbour had a bang on the head and this was an old country practice …

In good form thanks despite ‘flockdown’. Just started laying again in time for pancake day.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the composing information. I can’t bring myself to plastic composters and I think I’m going for something like

2 or 3 of them should do nicely for our almost 1000m2 garden.

I think to locate them here

9 Likes

A challenge to convey the sight of an explosion of crocus colour on the Green this morning (via an iPhone), but here goes…

4 Likes

Getting ready for spring - the brick path at the front of the house has scrubbed up well.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Payback time has begun!

1 Like

It’s a well proven system. If I had the space I’d make three bins with old pallets and move the compost along. Just mix twiggy stuff with the green to aid aeration.

2 Likes

I have the pallets now, just need to clear part of the wild garden that is earmarked for ‘more compost’. I suspect the Daleks and hexagonals will remain as long as I have hens and take my neighbour’s rabbit bedding. The raised beds are not even half full …

My main composting facility consists of a couple of large wooden bins, not actually made from pallets, but the same kind of thing. I did keep my 3 daleks too, and they have been useful for several reasons.
Mainly they are good for separate composting of material that may cause problems, such as large quantities of grass or other material which may continue to grow in the main bins. I just chuck it in a ‘dirty’ bin and leave it with the lid on for as long as it takes to properly break down any live stems, roots etc.
I also use them as an overflow when the main bins are full, such as after I’ve done a lot of pruning. Sooner or later things always break down and the contents can be transferred to the main bins, or just used.

4 Likes

Good ideas. I was thinking of using them to store compost once I’ve sieved it.

I can never be bothered to sieve compost. I just leave it long enough to be thoroughly broken down and use it as a thick mulch.

1 Like

I have a large piece of heavy duty galvanised lattice like this with gaps about an inch sq.

Cut to the size of the wheelbarrow. I lay it on top of the barrow and shovel the compost on to it. Any debris that is left gets put back in the compost bin for another year.

4 Likes

I like the work out; and, it gets the straw and clumps out. But, the Daleks are left for longer as was hoping to avoid sieving.

I realised that the plastic composters were not really big enough for the amount of compostable material in our garden. I ordered some wooden rails and a few posts and knocked this up a week or so ago. Already filled it but hasn’t been turned yet so should then start rotting down (I hope)

4 Likes

If you are like me and invested in a particular range of battery powered kit.

I am a Makita man and sometimes (on the rare occasion) get a bit disappointed when I can’t find a battery tool or appliance in their range.

I found there are a range of adaptors on the market to convert one battery type to another.

Just ordered a non-Makita battery lawn raker and two adaptors.

1 Like

Early morning visitor.

7 Likes