Gareth Southgate - Successor

As the Euro’s are now over I wondered whether a new thread to discuss the resignation of Englands manager and his successor might be more appropriate.

Thank you Gareth for dragging the country up from the trough created by Big Sam and for taking us to two euro finals. With luck you’ll be Sir Gareth before the year is out.

Now who to replace you;

My choice would be Pep, if he wants a bit of time before taking over then Mr Lampard to take the reins on a temporary basis.

Good one, though that belongs in the jokes thread.:joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

Eddie Howe gets my vote.

And mine

…followed by Kloop.

Looking at the Euro thread, loads of geniuses here should apply.

6 Likes

I’ll apply, bound to get a big payout when I make a mess of things

:rofl:

1 Like

Can’t see past Neil Warnock myself, with Paul 'Eckingbottom as his enforcer.

Let’s get rid of the tippy tappy “t’you, t’me, and back t’you again” nonsense, and scare the living daylights out of our competitors with some proper football.

Sithee! :england:

5 Likes

Gary or Phil Neville.
Very similar to Gareth.

Both ex players with a look a like siblings.

Joey Barton is backing Emma Hayes.

2 Likes

An excellent idea.

Quality start to the thread. Big Sam. 100% win record with an injury time win against Slovakia. Sounds vaguely familiar rather than a low. Found to have not committed any crime. Just a bit foolish. Might want to remind yourself of the history of England managers and indeed captains. Allardyce was a long long long way from the low point. Svens similar interactions were far worse. Hoddle brought us faith healers and a belief in the disabled being punished for a a former life. Several England captains demoted for sleeping with the wives of their fellow players but only England could promote one who had done so to be captain and then punish the players who protested.

The rest of this will be hilarious. A series of people who England will never get in a million years thus highlighting the entitle<ent once again and that allied to a list of people who possess exactly the same managerial qualities as, er, Gareth Southgate. Potter and Howe being the standouts in that respect.

Think your starting point should be Gareth’s observation that England under Sven need a Churchil but got IDS. Ah, the layers of irony.

3 Likes

I presume that you just enjoy what you do, dissing everything and everyone.

People try to get involved and you just constantly pour your bitter water over everything or maybe its just me.

Anyway I’ve had enough of this I off for a break before I say something I’ll regret.

5 Likes

I think Sarina Wiegman would do an excellent job at not taking any whiny nonsense from the players. Can’t fault the job she’s done with the women’s team.

Let Sir David Brailsford have a go - a completely fresh, scientific-based approach might be just what England needs.

1 Like

Eddie Howe is going nowhere.

He loves what is happening up here, and does not want a part-time job, which is what an international job is.

Loves Newcastle, loves being on the grass with the players, and is here to stay. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Probably very unfair, but I always felt that Sven’s dedication to the England cause was such that as the whistle blew at the start of each game he would turn to his assistant & say “just remind me, which colour is us?”.

A pundit or a football journalist, they keep telling us they know all the answers.
Now is the time for one of them to step forward and show the country what they are made of.

1 Like

Who’s that then?

She’s just started the U.S.A. women’s team job!

I’m not sure who gets my vote but cannot really see a plausible alternative. It could be him or someone out of leftfield.

I suspect Lee Carsley will get it on an ‘interim’ basis. The FA will then scratch around for a bit and then when the next ‘big’ name becomes available they’ll have him.