Gareth Southgate - Successor

Noooooooooooooooo….

I like Potter but I also agree. You’re essentially replacing like for like.

My original point being exactly that getting rid of Southgate; deeming him a failure and then replacing him was a fools errand. What was the stat? England have won 1 tournament in 35 attempts and that on home soil in debatable circumstances. They’re not at the top end of teams you would expect to win anything and whilst I kind of admire the nostalgic romanticism from fans which always suggests otherwise the only word for that is “entitlement”.

Southgate over-achieved over an incredibly long period on multiple fronts and at a time of teenage millionaires he made people want to wear the shirt again.

The “proven winners” being touted were laughable and that’s already been proven so. There are few English managers allowed to get to EPL level and zero evidence that’s any kind of preparation for the very different challenges of international football anyway . A Lee Carsley, Ian Evatt or Steve Cooper is as likely to succeed than a Pep, Jurgen or Carlo and, as we’ve now seen with Gareth, arguably more likely.

Southgate had clearly had enough but international football was absolutely his forte. I doubt he can now succeed at club level but equally I doubt his successor will achieve even half his success.

With my Welsh hat on the constant tendency of the fans and FA to implode is endlessly amusing but I’ve always found more interest in tournaments when more than 1 home nation qualifies so I genuinely want to see them there and doing well alongside the Irish and Scottish teams although I’d never actively support any of them.

I think the time has come for… Andy Woodman.

We’ll never know whether Southgate over/under achieved or just achieved par. What we do know is that he unified fans and team, inspired players to look forward to joining the squad etc. But that was then. For me he failed to capitalise on the good work becoming more cautious, playing less and less interesting football. Losing Ben White who should by rights be in any England squad was also a black mark imo. Forget who it was that lost Scholes (best England mid of his generation), that was a similar management fail.

And it’s really not ‘entitlement’ to want England to play football that excites, that fans look forward to watching. Suggesting it is is just the usual trope about England fans. It’s also not unreasonable to want Klopp, or anyone else for that matter, it’s just hope/aspiration.

In the end I expect we’ll get someone who came through the ranks, knows the younger players coming through. That’s not unusual, it’s regeneration. It was time. Southgate knew this.

I once sat next to Southgate and his family in a pub near Harrogate for Christmas dinner. Thoroughly nice bloke. He deserves a rest. The England job comes with significant pressure.

Happy Yorkshire day :+1:

2 Likes

… how to look the part, how to speak to the press, how to not upset anyone and who knows a little bit about football.

‘Knows a little bit about football’

Not always nessesary. I was always under the impression that when Sven was in charge he would turn to his assistant just before kick off & ask “Just remind me, which colour is us?”.

1 Like