Gary Rossington RIP

Lynyrd Skynyrd founder member guitarist Gary Rossington has died, the last of the original line-up. A top-rank guitarist and a core part of Skynyrd’s power, a sad loss. RIP Gary.

10 Likes

That is very sad. Gary was a great guitarist and influenced by the British Blues guys, Clapton, Kossoff etc. LS were the first band I saw live and I still play them a lot. A school friend lent me their first album in about 1974 and I was hooked immediately.

3 Likes

Gary hadn’t been in the best of health in recent years, having undergone several heart procedures, and often sitting out parts of the band’s live shows.

He was an essential part of that Skynyrd sound, and was the last surviving original band member.

RIP Gary, master of the Les Paul.

3 Likes

Lynyrd Skynyrd playing Freebird at Knebworth 1976 is one my top 5 live music experiences in 60 years of attending gigs. RIP Gary.

4 Likes

Thanks for the great playing Gary, R.I.P fly high. I saw Skynyrd 1975 & 1977 at Glasgow Apollo and again 1991 at Hammersmith Odeon with Ronnies brother Johnny on vocal duties, a great live band.

3 Likes

R.i.p Gary

2 Likes

Sadly I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd live but I did get to see The Rossington Collins Band at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in July 1980. Thanks to Gary and the band for a truly memorable night, I still remember it 42 years later especially the heartfelt instrumental tribute to Ronnie, with the lone microphone centre stage and the band playing Free Bird, there were many tears shed in the audience that night. RIP Gary and thanks for the memory.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.