GDPR Complient Cloud Backup Companies

Hi.

I have been investigating GDPR Cloud back up companies, for the backing up of my digital life.
The three I have come across who have their servers in the EU are:

1. pCloud.
  2. Icedrive
  3. Internxt.

Does anybody use any of the above?
If so which one and why?
How good is their customer service?
Any issues/pitfalls with your choice?

Thank you.
Kind regards
Roger.

All companies in the UK and EU need to be GDPR compliant, or any global company managing, storing or processing UK/EU private personal data (although enforcement over a breach for a non UK/ EU company could get interesting). I guess this is more about storage providers and storage reliability and integrity of backup data?

Wow, one of those is very expensive. I use LiveDrive, they have unlimited storage and you can also backup a NAS as well. The only time they have gone down was today with the Global outage problem. They were back online this afternoon. Whenever I have needed to restore files it worked very well and customer service has been good.

Acronis should meet your needs;

Personally, I use backup software syncing to the cloud such as backblaze b2. You can use separate sync software / cloud storage solution; the software fully encrypts your data so the cloud storage provider can’t actually open the files. Eg software from duplicati (which is free) provides built in integration with multiple cloud storage providers like Amazon s3, backblaze, Dropbox etc.

I queried about online backup services a while back. I assume you’re looking to back up stuff on a PC/phone?

I have a 2TB iCloud family plan but with everyone’s phones and Macs backing up it really isn’t a huge amount and newer higher tiers are naturally more costly.

My main problem if I wanted to backup a large number of hard drives accumulated over many years is slow upload speeds of around 18 Mbps. It would potentially take months or even years.

Must consider changing from FTTC to FTTP broadband, though my FTTC is consistent and generally stable.

Hi @robert_h

I am looking to back up 4TB of mixed media files and documents, and whole PC backups from my QNAP NAS.

I have hdd back ups but I feel the need for off site/home back up as well.

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Hi @Alley_Cat

I am looking to back up 4TB of mixed media files and documents, and whole PC backups from my QNAP NAS.

I have hdd back ups but I feel the need for off site/home back up as well.

The household is Windows and Android.

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

RogerGround, I realise you haven’t paid attention to my earlier post but I’d urge you to do a careful internet search before using Backblaze as is being suggested. I have used them in the past and it didn’t end well. It’s OK until you need to restore files in my experience. I can’t post a link here but I would recommend doing a careful search as there is a very good report on them online.

Hi @Chris-T

I not sure how you have arrived at the conclusion that I " have not paid attention to your earlier post"

I read your post and took the information it contained on board.

I am along way off choosing a Cloud storage service, but your personal experience with Backblaze has been noted.

Thank you.
Kind regards
Roger

Hi, 4TB is a different proposition, and I think larger than “personal” accounts eg Tresorit personal is 1TB. You can get larger storage but that’s “business” aforementioned Tresorit offer 4TB package but it’s £19 monthly.

1 Like

I suppose I felt that because you didn’t respond to me but you did to others who posted afterwards. I have been using LiveDrive for a few years backing up several drives and a NAS and it works well and isn’t that expensive. I pay £11.50 a month for unlimited storage. Anyway good luck in finding what you need.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.