Gen 1 Muso and iPhone

The Google Mesh devices I’ve seen all had Ethernet ports on them which could be used to connect peripheral devices, so I’m a bit surprised that yours don’t.

The 1st gen Musos did have poor WiFi modules fitted so I’m not that surprised that you are having problems. A wired connection of some sort is generally the best solution.

The 1st gen Google mesh had ports but they have been gone for a few years already. Only the router has ports now.

The Muso is connected to the network, it’s only the Naim app (on the same network) it won’t connect with.

I connected the Airport Express to the network from my laptop, plugged it into the Muso with cat5 ethernet cable and voila, the app found the Muso and it seems to be communicating fine.

The Airport Express (in its default DHCP configuration) shows on my network as a device rather than a wifi point.

I cant find are any HD radio stations though, only up to 320k - is that normal with gen 1 Muso? I dont remember if they were there before.

HD radio is on 2nd gen streamers only, although there are workarounds for this.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by a Google Mesh router? I’m only aware of the WiFi extenders, one of which you use to connect to your WAN device which would normally be an ISP supplied router/modem. Sounds like you have completely different hardware.

Not that any of this matters if you are happy with using the AE, I’m just struggling to understand how your LAN is configured, and slightly suspicious that maybe this is the cause of your problems.

The Google system comes with a router/primary wifi point which is hard wired to the ISP provided router/modem. You then add as many additional wifi points as you need - in my case 4. There are no ethernet connections on the wifi extenders, only on the router.

Well now I’m baffled, because I’m not aware of a Google Mesh router that is any different from their Mesh devices, all of which have 2 Ethernet ports tucked underneath, one LAN and one WAN. Any one of these is normally connected to the ISP router, and others are set up, usually over WiFi although wired is also possible, and located throughout your house for full coverage. From your description you seem to have a different product altogether?

Also, is the DHCP server and WiFi disabled on your ISP supplied router?

There are 2 mesh systems from Google. The original Google Wifi (I think this is what you have in mind) and the Google Nest Wifi (that I have). Both are mesh systems, the latter offering greater range, faster speeds, speakers in the wifi extenders etc. but doesn’t have ethernet ports in the extenders. I didn’t think the originals were still on sale but it seems they are.

My ISP fibre modem/router does not have wifi capability.

Agreed. I was using an AE in bridge mode until a couple of years ago, and it was a disaster - lots of problems with “discovery” etc…

I am no networking expert but my understanding is that AE is now considered a museum piece.

I replaced it with BT whole home discs and the system has been rock solid ever since.

Paul

Yes, they are old now but they still have their uses. Apart from just being WiFi range extenders they support AirPlay (including AirPlay 2) and have optical out, so they can add AirPlay to devices that don’t support it.
I still have one tucked away in a cupboard where it works as a range extender. I keep thinking I should switch to a newer mesh network, but along with my ISP supplied router it all works reliably so I can’t be bothered to change it.

I changed out the Apple WiFi system for the current Google Nest because I could never achieve robust, full house coverage with the Apple system. It was only the Naim app/ gen 1 Muso that wouldn’t talk to each other over the Google network but plugging an AE into the Muso seems to have resolved that.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.