Get rid of speaker thump NAP

It might not harm the speakers but one of my dogs hates it, but then he doesn’t like the sound of thunder either.
Switching on or off in the right sequence does make a difference to how loud the thump or click is.

As said, leave it on.

Get rid of horrible nasty box leave on

1 Like

I used to dislike it on the rare occasions the noise was actually heard, but confirmation from Naim and on here that it’s quite normal and not damaging meant that it became a complete non event therefore nothing to worry about. It doesn’t even register these days so perhaps that’s the answer, just accept it as a trivial consequence of Naim ownership and ignore it.

some of these pops can be extremely loud and disturbing and I wouldn’t rule out damage if regular or more frequent

yes the delay relays help and soften this to almost inaudible but arguably at the cost of some sound quality, whether significant or not. I would rather have it straight and live with it, which I do, but mine is very much quieter and milder.

Leave it on! As others have said only turn off if you are away or if thunder is forecast in your area.

1 Like

Is the equipment properly powered up in sequence according to Naim recommendations? I know that if I shut off source first, I will get a thump.

Scott

Thanks for your answers. I stay with my little switch box. It should be a hint for people like me, who doesn’t like such thumps. The volume control doesn’t affect the thump, because the pre amp stays off. I also don’t use any external power supply unit - why double the hardware?

I also have my personal opinion on leaving the amp on, which I for shure won’t be doing. Some reasons:

1. it isn’t friendly for the environment
  2. it consumes some energy and produces extra costs
  3. it burns the inner parts out
  4. it’s a story like a car dealer would explain, leave your car motor on for the night. It stays nice warm and ready for the next ride. The motor parts get lubricate. And you get the full horse power right at the beginning…
    please, don’t take it personally :wink:
1 Like

You are of course correct about the energy consumption issue, and this is something that Naim owners may well become increasingly aware of, and perhaps uncomfortable with. The car analogy is a bit extreme, though!

What type of pre amp are you using?

Actually, the equipment is far more likely to fail if you turn it off and on, rather than leaving it powered up for long periods. I totally understand the energy issue, however bear in mind that you can save far more through other energy efficiency measures, and if you get your electricity from a green provider - why wouldn’t you? - it’s not contributing to CO2 emissions. But as you’ve made your choice, enjoy the reduced sound quality.

2 Likes

Yep the black box will see to that :rofl::joy:

1 Like

The energy consumption of hifi kit these days is rather negligible (with some exceptions, of course) and turning it on and off will actually reduce the life span of the components.

1 Like

That’s certainly not true with regards to electrolytic capacitors.

Electronic components can be switched on and off thousands of times without failure, unless they are faulty in some way.

1 Like

I think you’d better save your money and buy some Japanese receiver from some supermarket, Walmart or Amazon, seriously.

1 Like

Yes, and no. Inrush current is often many times greater than operational current, and if the cap is old, can cause punch through. Similar to the way that incandescent light bulbs would more often fail at switch on, and for the same reason. IIRC (as I left all my GDIRs behind when I retired) we used to specify for max 60x inrush current over operational current, but with a tightly defined current/time envelope (assuming a spacecraft main bus of 50V DC, latterly 100V)

Don’t take any notice of the snarky responses. Do what you feel is right by you. The unit is designated to be left on, however, it has an on and off switch so there is most likely not much more harm done by switching on and off as you need it.

As I had it explained to me by someone, as a component nears failure, the momentary surge can finish it off quicker than it would have otherwise.

I do leave mine on but then we have a big solar system and quite a low power bill as a result, so I don’t feel so bad about it. But I understand your concern.

As for the little switch box, sometimes items like that use very small surface area contacts. As a result, they might inhibit the flow of current and take away some dynamics from the system. Then again it might not. As long as you test it then you can be confident in using. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I would use the term knackered as opposed to old. :grinning:

A 25 year old capacitor that has been powered up 2 hours a day for 25 years will be in a better condition than a 15 year old capacitor that has been permanently powered up for 15 years.

Switching equipment off extends the life of electrolytic capacitors.

1 Like

As a dear friend and colleague used to write on many of her Part Failure Analysis Reports:

“Failure was due to excess V/I”

Thanks F**d :laughing:

1 Like

Two days ago I received a SN3 and HiCap and they’ve been left switched on since, as recommended. It’s a strange feeling actually, I feel it’s wasteful and what about any fire risk?
I know it’s new but….

For the past 20 years I’ve been using an Arcam amplifier and switching that on 30 minutes before use and immediately off after. It’s still going strong. Why would the Naim be any different?

For me it doesn’t come naturally, I’m trying to change the habit of a lifetime :flushed:

1 Like

So, the fire risk will be higher left on. The item is hotter and energised. Switched off is should have zero fire risk. Especially if its plug is physically disconnected from the mains. Bit extreme though.
More the issue for me is electrical usage. A smart meter and display will show you what it costs per day to leave on. Mine was more than I expected.
Like you I turn all off, only powering up 30 mins before a session. Ad hoc sessions just don’t sound so good for the first 30 mins.

2 Likes