Get rid of speaker thump NAP

This discussion has been had many many times. A few pounds on the electricity bill is hardly a massive problem to anyone who can stump up for a £20,000 stereo. The CO2 is of course an issue, but it can be got round by using green energy. How many unnecessary car journeys are made by those who mither about leaving their Naim turned on? I’ve owned Naim since 1983 and nothing’s caught fire yet. What a lot of stuff and nonsense.

Hi HH,
Have you ever been to a devastating house fire caused by faulty equipment? Equipment that’s worked okay for a number of years.
I have, a few in fact.

1 Like

These things sadly happen. Does the fact that road accidents happen mean we never leave the house? Of course not. Were any of the fires you mention caused by a Naim box? If not it’s hardly relevant. A Naim is quite different to an electric blanket apparently. A fridge is left on, as is a thermostat, a router, the phone. It’s a potential death trap!!

1 Like

The simple solution here is to turn the Consumer Unit main switch off when you are not in.

This is brilliant. Grown men arguing whether something should be switched on or off. :joy:

Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

4 Likes

I’m not sure why you dismiss it in such a way. It’s no more ‘brilliant’ than many of the other discussions. If it’s so far beneath you, you don’t need to engage with such silliness.

1 Like

It’s meant in jest. Please don’t be offended I just found it a little humorous.

2 Likes

Hi HH,
No, I am not suggesting any Naim at all.
I just felt that you were belittling my strongly held beliefs.
At night, I switch everything off.
Regards

Edit: Recently though, I started leaving the router on all night, after reading a post by, I think @Simon-in-Suffolk who mentioned that leaving it on maintains the speed or something on that lines. It’ll be a slow process :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For someone who is known for often providing pretty blunt statements you seem to take offense rather easily here. This is not a personal attack, but I believe there needs to be some give and take involved in the forum discussions.

3 Likes

The switching on and off of the components is the cause of most failures. When was the last time you were listening to music, or watching tv and the component just died, stopped working. Most likely never. It either fails upon switching off or it never switches back on.

I think what HH is saying is that you could be energy conscious to the point that in all reality, you could pull the plug on your icebox every night and plug back in in the morning and the food would still be fine, maybe??? That is more money saved than turning off Naim boxes.

Naim equipment it meant to stay on, and at very low power consumption, and sounds much better warmed up.

Scott

1 Like

It certainly just means ‘large’ or ‘huge’? Thats how my Americanised, sub-35 British colleagues use it.

1 Like

If we are not careful here, we will have people putting 13A Plugs into sockets, to stop the Lecky leaking out… :laughing:

Seriously though. I have all my Naim powered 24/7 - except for the NAP which does on before I listen - and off when I have finished. Simple. I think this is a fair compromise - and had been my practice for many years. Yes, it can take the first CD for everything to ‘lock in’ - but thats fine by me… :slightly_smiling_face:

My fridge/freezer is also on 24/7 - as is my Router… and my Fish Tank… :smiley:

Don’t Chord make them already? :grin:

It might be worth pointing out that the OP didn’t actually ask for advice concering the use of the speaker switch or the pros and cons of switching on/off or leaving powered up. :thinking:

1 Like

Probably… Do they have squares of foil stuck on them…? :laughing:

It’s a £2500 optional extra…:wink:

1 Like

On the other hand.

When somebody comes on the forum complaining their equipment isn’t working properly, the advice will usually be…

:grinning:

1 Like

I’ve done the math, it does cost me at least 250 Euros per year to leave it switched on - which I do.

I meant humorous.
However, as the thread moved on, I deleted my post. Even if I didn’t understood the problem in 44 to 48 posts discussion.

I don’t turn my fridge off when I leave the house either, or only do the laundry when at home