Gloss lacquer finish on Speakers

For those with a gloss black piano lacquer finish to their speakers, or a high gloss lacquer, I can recommend the Yamaha Lacquer Polish.

Treated my B&W 805 Signatures which have a Grey Tigers Eye lacquer finish with this, and the shine is deepened and easier to keep the dust off.
Also treated the Acrylic casework of my Michell Orbe too!

7 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for this - I’ll be getting my high gloss 805 D3 Prestige Ed very soon, and I’d wondered about a good polish.

1 Like

Great shout … I’ve just ordered some, so my Piano Black MF9s ought to be back to their shiny best soon. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

For the Piano Black finish on my Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers I just use the Zaino Bros. Z-6 gloss enhancer I use for my car, along with the nice microfiber towel that came with the speakers.

Sure, but this polish is designed for Gloss Black finishes on Pianos rather than car paintwork

I haven’t needed polish so far, but I have no doubt the Zaino polish would work. Since I have no scratches or swirls yet that I know of, I’m just using the gloss enhancer for now.

Gloss back pianos may be finished in lacquer, polyester, polyurethane… just knowing the color and sheen isn’t enough. This is also true for speaker finishes.

Luckily, most of these things can be polished with the same stuff you’d use on your car, which will also likely be finished in gloss poly products.

1 Like

Simon’s speakers, top end pianos and the woodwork in a Rolls-Royce or Bentley are all finished in a high gloss polyester lacquer.

It is much more labour intensive, slow, repetitive, messy and expensive to apply than the more common acrylic lacquer that is used for most speakers (e.g. our ART Alnico) but polyester provides a mirror-like finish and depth of shine that others, such as acrylic and polyurethane, cannot match.

Hence, the Yamaha piano polish will be perfect for Simon’s speakers but many other polishes will be fine too.

Back in the 1990s, it was my privilege to run the Rolls-Royce & Bentley Woodshop for a number of years. We installed a brand new lacquer spray & curing booth and changed supplier of polyester lacquer at that time. We also introduced acrylic lacquer for localised repairs, at it was fast and effective for small repairs. The main concern with acrylic lacquer was and still is its propensity to gradually sink into the wood grain over time, something which the polyester lacquer would not do so long as it was properly cured.

Polyurethane lacquers were great for matt finishes but we could never get the wood to pass the automotive environmental durability tests with polyurethane lacquer. Perhaps the technology has improved since then though.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Thanks for that, and yes following treatment the depth of shine is just great.
Now, they were nice before (had them over 3 years, bought 2nd hand and date from the '00s), but the application of the Lacquer polish has really replenished the shine and finish - hence my recommendation here to owners of speakers with Gloss lacquer finish.

I think we can safely assume Yamaha’s polish is designed for it’s piano’s. Not sure they publish what it is, or whether your speaker manufacturer does.

great , thanks for the suggestion on this polish

They mention it’s generally polyester on their gloss black pianos. I am sure that polish is safe on pretty much any other gloss finish you may encounter on a speaker (or musical instrument), all I was saying is that there isn’t only one way of achieving a gloss black finish.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.