Goldring Troika retipping service?

It’s a tough life eh Graham :wink:
So glad that you finally found freedom and got your music back!

1 Like

Thank you, that’s very kind. I’m rather losing track of time, but I’ve been out for about a month…

It’s great to be able to go upstairs to listen to music whenever I want.

And to sleep in something rather larger than a postage stamp.

4 Likes

Happy you are home now. I can recommend streaming if you can make the leap. Never thought it’s would appeal to me. However I have found that Naim streamers of the older generation are both a revelation and affordable and I listen to a much more eclectic mix of music now, more than I ever did with vinyl. I am currently considering a rebuilt Troika rather than a replacement for my K17D3 when it reaches end of life simply because it’s far more affordable considering I listen less to vinyl now.

1 Like

Perhaps I didn’t explain fully. No I don’t think the Goldring repair was as exciting as the original. The sparkle and involvement wasn’t there any more. Memory will have something to do with it I’m sure, it being nearly 20 years since I had it running. Never the less I was disappointed given that the Linn had also been substantially upgraded. The magic I had looked forward to wasn’t there.

3 Likes

Sorry, I lost the real meaning of your post. Thanks for clarifying. The OP will have a more difficult decision to take now, as the opinions seem to be divided.

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul, but I think that streaming is a step too far for me.
I don’t cope well with things wholly in the digital domain.

And I actually like standing in front of my glass shelves and physically pulling out a couple of LPs or CDs to listen to next. And then there’s the whole rigmarole of cleaning the LP with a Decca brush and the stylus with ‘green paper’ and a drop of Stylast fluid before actually playing the LP.

These are just some of the joys of turning into the old fogey that I always aspired to!

3 Likes

Hi Anders,

I can highly recommend David at Goldring. He was the chap that rebuilt Linn cartridges for Linn.

I had my Troika rebuilt six months ago, cost £500. Back within a fortnight.

1 Like

I see no claim from anyone here that Goldring ever built Troika cartridges, only mention of them being re-built.

There are many subtleties to cartridge rebuilding. Quality or type of parts used. Very possible that a Troika can be re built to sound better than original, just depends! I have had Karma rebuilt with sapphire cantilevers for example with excellent results.

I have had Linn Troika, Karma, Asaka, Asaka all rebuilt by Goldring (UK) and VAS (in NY, USA). Rebuilding any of these is well worth it in my opinion as the results are excellent when compared to the price.

1 Like

I had always understand the the earlier Linn carts were made by Supex…? Asak/Karma/Troika.

No… :thinking:

See list earlier in thread, yes Troika, Karma, Asaka, Asak (I believe) were built by Supex. Did I say otherwise??? Hope not!

1 Like

My words were “I see NO claim from anyone that Goldring ever built Troika”
I said this as ‘Skeptikal’ appeared to reply in a manner that thought someone had.

Apologies… :hushed:

That particular post was not immediately visible to me. Due to who had posted it… :expressionless:

1 Like

Sorry to hear your troika isn’t sounding wonderful. I have owned 2 original Supex made Troika, one Linn Rebuild (done by Goldring for Linn in 1994) and now have 3x Goldring Troikas rebuilt by David G in 2021/2 (bought a spare and was then offered another!)

It is always difficult to compare cartridges as normally I replace mine when the previous is a little worn so the replacement should normally sound far better. I do not remember the rebuilt Troika sounding any worse, only better than the original Supex Troikas. Similarly the recent Goldring rebuilds only sound better than the 1994 rebuild probably as again it was a little worn.

My system has changed too over the years and in 1994 was just a std circus lp12/ekos1. Now evolved a little to new lp12/Karousel/Keel/ekos2 but troika sounds wonderful via Superline and 576R Airplug loading.
Its on a different level to my Naim CDS3 & XPS DR which I love dearly but I haven’t heard a NDX2 for streaming comparison.

Just for info: I find mine sounds best at 1.65g tracking and 2.05 on bias scale. VTA seems critical with troika and they don’t like normal parallel arm textbook setting, mine sounds right with rear of arm about 2-3mm higher…
Like all cartridges need 25-30 hours running in before sounds right.

Hope you can coax a little more out of your Troika as should reward you.
Enjoy the music whatever your source…

7 Likes

I’m very envious!

I’d love to have an extra ARO armwand with a Troika fixed in place, but I’ll just have to slum it with my (almost unplayed) new Te Kaitora Rua doing the business.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.