Gordon Lightfoot

My gateway to folk. Grew up listening and was fortunate to see him a few times at Massey Hall in Toronto.

Canada weeps.

9 Likes

Another great artist….r.i.p Gordon

2 Likes

It’s turning into a bad year…

I was surprised and delighted the first time If you could read my mind popped up on Trigger Happy TV and it got a bit of radio play years after the event, as it were.

Haven’t played any of his records in a while though, time to pull them from the shelves.

1 Like

R.I.p Gordon Lightfoot. Master storyteller and poet. One of the greats!

1 Like

That’s a shame I absolutely love his If You Could Read My Mind, it’s been part my soundtrack since it’s release.

2 Likes

Apart from his well known early hits The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was a classic. A great loss, RIP.

3 Likes

Heartbreaking news, I grew up listening to his songs like, ‘If you could read my mind’ & ‘Sundown’ . I’ve got a few of his LP’s recently purchased when I got back into records again.

Yeah, Very Sad :disappointed:… and never forgotten.

1 Like

Very sad. One of my favourite artists of all time. Like many, I grew up with his songs and there always seemed to be a GL song to fit any mood.
Saw him a couple of time at Massey Hall in Toronto and in Manchester the last time he toured over here a few years ago. His voice was shot by then but it didn’t seem to matter as memories of his baritone in his peak years filled the gaps somehow. The legend lives on…

2 Likes

Very sad news, a big bit of history gone.

2 Likes

Very sad news. I’ve moved this thread over to the Music Room, which seems more appropriate.

2 Likes

Sad news - it takes me back to my school days when it was very uncool to listen to his music. Listening to ‘sundown’ now.

4 Likes

A classic indeed.

There was a nice appearance in the Bob Dylan Rolling Thunder film where Bob and Joni Mitchell turn up at Gord’s house and they all play a new song by Joni - Coyote

1 Like

RIP Gordon. Great singer-songwriter and one of the best things to come out of Canada ever.

I just learned how to play “Don Quixote” on guitar last year.

1 Like

Thank you.

When Gordon Lightfoot toured Canada, he toured Canada. I spent my teen years living near a 10,000 person town. When Gordon toured Canada he played our town and many other smaller communities and not just once. He is justifiably famous for his Massey Hall. Toronto concerts, but to me it is his playing throughout the vast country and connecting with so many people. And they were special concerts.

4 Likes

Hopefully all his studio albums will be reissued on Vinyl, although one can get his most popular LP’s for a good price and in decent condition. :heart:GL

Not just Canada. Growing up here in the UK, Mr Lightfoot had many hits in the background of my consciousness and was loved by many I knew but I was sure back then he was for the older market. More recently I discovered I am that market and have been for a while. Only yesterday, before news broke, I was commending his music to my daughter. She’s familiar with the Song for a Winter’s Night and the Edmund Fitzgerald and soon I’ll point to the Canadian Railroad Trilogy - coincidentally she has a CP travel poster, with a locomotive, on her bedroom wall!

2 Likes

Like many folk, I’d always liked his famous singles, but tbh I’d never delved into his albums before getting back into vinyl a few years back at which point I picked up a few of them and came to realise he had his own unique thing going on which I really enjoyed. Great songwriter and a unique style performer. Thanks Gordon. Rest well.

2 Likes

BBC4 are broadcasting a 1971 studio concert on Friday at 9.00 p.m. as a tribute to Gordon Lightfoot.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.