Greetings, but am I going mad?

There is a generally accepted level of this low-volume imbalance, but some pots are necessarily close to this level. As it also depends on listening habits, speaker sensitivity, input levels, room, etc., it can have a practical impact for some people. As mentioned above, in may case (new 252) it was also that it impacted normal lower (not just very low) listening levels, starting at 8 o’clock. I found this supremely annoying, because obviously changing the balance pot also changes the overall volume. The Naim distributor offered to exchange the pot for another hand-checked one from their stock, and the 252 was back within a week. Was well worth it.

For what it’s worth,

I have very efficient speakers, and using a 282. Seven o’clock on the control is plenty of volume for most material. Unfortunately at this level the left channel is less represented than the right.

Thankfully, my dac has a volume control…

So, lately I set the 282 control at 8:30 or so, and then set the dac volume at a level suitable for most material.

The 8:30 setting on the pre gets me well out of the imbalanced situation so I can then use the 282 to make fine adjustments.

My balance control itself is just about perfect at 12:00 thankfully, but I can make fine adjustments on it using a test tone and a sound level meter. Again taking the above into consideration.

Playing my phono requires more ‘“wick” anyway so I don’t generally notice any issue.

1 Like

I had the low-level imbalance thing with my 282 - I would need to keep the dial at around 10:30 to get a central image. I attributed this to the left speaker being next to an open doorway. When I changed to a 552, the imbalance was much less. Maybe there’s something in the “552s get the best volume controls” explanation?

1 Like

Richard confirmed this in past threads about this

Hi @NeilS , Are the volume pots at 282,SN2 and SN3 the same? (Specs/models)

1 Like

knowing that they solved this problem in the Statement and Uniti products using the digital/analogue volume control, I wonder when a total range revamp is on the cards…. Personally I think it’s overdue.

5 Likes

Hi Kacper,

Yes, they are.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

thanks Neil!

Regards,
Kacper

… and the 272.

Roger

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.