Hackney Diamonds

Thank goodness someone knows what they are talking about - well done.

3 Likes

Kingsbury High School? I went there from 1971-78.

69-74

1 Like

Just cannot get that riff out of my head ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ this is how it used to work when I was seventeen years old ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ The Riffmeister driving me daft until the record shop on the corner finally started selling the latest single.

Happy Days. :musical_note: :notes: :guitar: :guitar:

3 Likes

Cruel, but fair!

1 Like

Here you go looks pretty easyā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks for nothing, @AndyP, thatā€™s my plans for this morning oot the windae. :scotland:

Daeā€™in yon Keef five string thing the noo, as we speak. :musical_note: :notes: :guitar: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@AndyP Lord Keef in his excellent auto biography explains how on any Saturday evening you will hear any number of pub bands making a half decent fist of Brown Sugar or Start Me Up BUT it wonā€™t sound like the Stones because they donā€™t tune like Keef or indeed use just 5 strings.

3 Likes

Yes I was surprised to find a version of the Angry riff in standard tuning.

This guy by no means Keef at all rattles off 35 songs in Open G and heā€™s even removed the tuning peg.

For all the non guitarists here - just grab a guitar tune to Open G and all need is your index finger and a groove - simpleā€¦errr

2 Likes

Sweet Sounds of Heaven???

Decent but a bit cliche??

I think it is an absolute belter! Love the vocal blend of Mick and Lady Gaga and to top it Stevie W on keyboards. Very Sticky Fingers/Exile in vibe. Keith and Ronnie doing what they do best - the ancient art of weaving! Come on, can you believe at this point in their career they would/could deliver anything as good as this? Itā€™s a treat for Stones fans

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more ! Just love it. Jaggers vocals also on fine formā€¦

3 Likes

Enjoyed the video, although the use of machine learning is benign but disturbing and really ought to attract more comment.

The song itself is a prime example of a band sounding like a diluted version of itself. A tired sprinkle of this. A half remembered bit of that. For some itā€™s a trigger to remind of former glories. For others itā€™s a tepid retread. What it most definitely isnā€™t is any kind of remarkable comeback/late renaissance although extraordinarily thereā€™s still a sub set who see it that way.

Itā€™s less than 50% of the original Stones sounding like 25% of late 1980s Stones, which itself was trapped between a fossilised version of itself which didnā€™t really exist and an attempt, as ever, to try and keep up with some perceived latest trend. Itā€™s remarkable theyā€™re capable of producing anything at all but in itself Iā€™ll take some convincing that thatā€™s a thing worth applauding.

You can kid yourselves thereā€™s some relationship with the band in the 60s or 70s but there really isnā€™t. The 90s onwards maybe but this is a band which, with or without Charlie long since ceased to swing like the Stones.

Donā€™t even start me on Keith. Iā€™ve a friend who has worked live sound for them and his description of Keithā€™s latter day guitar playing is hilarious. Ronnie isnā€™t great but he does an awful lot of covering up to put it politely. His description of post gig Keith on an acoustic as Ted Hawkins with a pigs trotter where a picking hand used to be nails it. The image is just a sad parody nowadays.

1 Like

Bands sell records on the back of that? Yawn.

Better or worse than Paul McCartney?

Iā€™ll take some convincing thatā€™s something I need to be concerned about. I judge music on its own merits rather than by comparison. Doesnā€™t always work but mostly does.

Streaming now, typical fare - ramshackled blues/punk/rock - from a band that had their heyday over 50 years ago - I suppose full marks for their longevity but I canā€™t see that itā€™s as good as the hyperbole.

Perhaps post Charlie they should finally retire?

3 Likes

Postie just delivered this

2 Likes

Can I just keep reposting my post from 20 days ago?