Happy 20th Birthday, CDX2!

Based on my CDX2’s serial number, it was brought into being, along with my eldest daughter, in 2003.

Assuming units are produced at a constant rate throughout the year, it was made some time in mid-August. Given the usual summer shutdown, though, I’m choosing to believe that it was actually made a little later, so today is as good a day as any to say thank you and happy 20th:

Still going strong!

Mark

24 Likes

Isn’t it great that these things last so long. Think of all the hours of enjoyment it’s given you. Wonderful. Happy birthday.

4 Likes

Isn’t it a good time to give the mature player a life companion like an attractive xps?

1 Like

Are you trying to pimp out my CDP?!

1 Like

You are such a romantic……but yes😉

3 Likes

You’re all as bad as each other, trying to tempt a man like that…

UPDATE: my dealer (never was a word more accurately employed) currently has a s/h XPS at a very tempting price.

4 Likes

The modern joys of online dating :slight_smile:

Those doors of the Naim cd players are really fabulous and add to the whole experience. I miss it now and then in these days of streaming.

4 Likes

Had mine from 2002 to 2020. It only lasted one year minus an XPS2. By itself it’s perfectly pleasant. With the power supply it was described, at the time, in one review as being world class. A little OTT given its relatively poor approach to timbre but it’s certainly different class with the power supply.

Sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be very careful! About 5 years ago my 82 pre reached its 25th birthday, I’d bought it new just after they were released. I decided that as a birthday present I’d give it an olive Supercap to replace the even older HiCap that paired it. But once I had the Supercap it was less than a year before I betrayed the 82 and replaced it with a 52.

2 Likes

Hang on, are you telling me it’s only a matter of time before I see the light and get a CD555?

You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves, giving a man ideas like that, barely half an hour after I started a perfectly innocent topic in good faith.

4 Likes

It was meant as a warning, honest guv. :grinning:

3 Likes

If you found a nice new owner for the NAC82, I’m sure that you will be forgiven!

The NAC52 is one of Naim’s greatest products. Mine should really go back to Salisbury for service/recap (or whatever), but I’d be lost without it.

1 Like

I traded it in for the 52. But as it went to those lovely drum drum chaps in St Albans I’m sure they rapidly found it a good home.

James at TomTom, great chap!

1 Like

I bought my CDX2 in 2005 and kept it till 2011 when it made way for an HDX. The HDX lasted until 2023 when it made way for my “end game” NDX2. My only real reason for changing each was repeated mechanical failures of the drive mechanisms. Hopefully, the all electronic NDX2 won’t suffer any such (or other) maladies!

Happy birthday to your CDX2🎂
After 20 years of my faithful old Sony CD player chugging away I recently upgraded to a CDX2.
What a difference! It is like all my CD’s had been remastered overnight! Just hope it will last as long as yours has and I can get it a birthday cake. Trouble is I will be 89 by then and probably tone deaf ! Hi hum…

1 Like

The very person I bought my CDX2 from!

I had a CDX and later added an XPS (or was it an XPS2? - long time ago now) P/S.

For me the best CD player Naim ever made was the original CDS. An incredibly musical player and the first CD player I ever heard that didn’t sound 3rd rate compared to my then LP12. I couldn’t afford one so ended up later with the CDI which was also fantastic.

Life happened and I ended up with the CDX. Later upgraded - actually ‘downgraded’ - to the CDS3. Big mistake. CDX (I’ve never heard the CDX2) for me rivalled the CDS and CDI for sheer enjoyment factor. It’s biggest fault was a midrange digital glare but one easily forgave that because of the sheer musicality on offer. A great player.

The CDS3 eliminated the digital glare of the CDX completely - and also unfortunately all of its musicality.

1 Like

My CDX2 is from 2002 - around May is the guestimate, based on its Ser No. Still going…!!

2 Likes

The CDX2 is a terrific CD player, l owned one for a number of years….

I demoed an XPSDR and was somewhat underwhelmed by the addition so decided on a CD555…… and that was extremely impressive.

But of course the CDX2 is excellent on its own ….

1 Like