Happy with the new Naim update

If you’re in the US, check out Lisa Fischer. She is on those tracks and she has been touring around for the past couple years playing with different groups. Definitely worth attending if she comes near you.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look for her. Come to think of it, I think I’ll time travel to Radio City Music hall circa 2003 tonight!

Hi Graeme, just to add some balance here, I have NC 222/300/250 and have found the new update brings a significant improvement in SQ, which I continue to appreciate. I, of course, cannot be sure you will get the same improvement with the 333, but if you do, it will be very worthwhile.

I assume the 222 and 333 share much of the same streaming architecture, so, on balance, I would suggest there should be a SQ benefit in updating the FW.

Your shout though.

6 Likes

Hi @NigelB
Can you describe the improvements.
I really would like to like, but I struggle with the harder transients /edges. It was softer before what I liked - as it was more relaxed.
These sharp notes are not mine - even as the are more detailed and clear energetic.

Thanks indeed.

G

1 Like

Only one solution: full loom Omegas
:smiling_imp::grin:

1 Like

@GraemeH @stavrose this makes me curious. I did the updatewhen it came out. Haven’t had the chance for a good listen.

I plan on giving a good listen tonight. Curious if I will notice any changes.

1 Like

Please tell your thoughts - I found it to be totally different.

I’m also hearing a change in sound signature after the update on my ND5XS2. With my quite friendly Dynaudio Contours 20i I think it’s an overall improvement. The sound is more live like and more forward but that is very welcome with the relaxed sound of the dynaudios. But what I’m wondering, how does Naim manage to change the sound signature with a software update? Are these all changes in the DAC or something?

More clarity, more fine detail and texture to instruments and vocals, but this does not translate to increased hardness in my system. The added air and space between instruments and vocals indeed makes for a slightly easier listen as I suspect the brain is having to do slightly less work to make sense of everything,

As with all these types of improvements, the brain is greedy and soon becomes accustomed to the improved SQ, waiting for the next improvement to be delivered!

11 Likes

I did the update a couple days ago and pleased with the sound from initial impressions. Will do some extended listening tonight.

1 Like

Just focus on that and play more live concert albums.

1 Like

EM noise reduction via firmware update.

2 Likes

@drago there can be only one.

2 Likes

I think the new firmware is a step forward in musical enjoyment. The bass sounds slightly extended and fuller whilst having more definition. Mids seem to have more separation and again better definition. Treble I feel has more clarity and whilst smoother is better defined and I think gives a crisper edge to vocals and instruments. I must admit that I had it installed on my 333 for a few days before sat down for a listening session but once I did, I was pleasantly surprised at the uplift.

3 Likes

That would be a game changer! Why not enable users to change one or two parameters and find their preferred sound. That would really be amazing.

1 Like

Hi Jimdog.

Is that a guess or is that for real?

It’s a guess and a deduction from common sense.

But obviously it might be wrong.

But in the sense that you can’t really add anything to the Music files, all you can really do to improve sound quality is remove extraneous variance of electromagnetic interference, or anything else that is messing up the music.

2 Likes

Perhaps StreamUnlimited have changed or optimised their libraries. They released new firmware earlier in 2024 for Max support on the 800 boards.

1 Like

Hey, that’s a good Possible explanation.