Happy with the new Naim update

But will it still do that with the update now the bass is cleaner?

1 Like

Yeah - only know it you tryā€¦

1 Like

My ND555 runs on Vodka and is happy! :wink:

Low-bass is better for sure - note definition and hearing decay and the weaving of notes more and small HF instruments previously hidden are there.

Give it some time to settle and gain familiarity with it and your listening process to update too.
Small tweaks to tune the system up for this I find worthwhile here, but nothing too radical so far.
Revisiting and changing the settings was worthwhile:

Digital 1: off
Digital 2: off (definitely turn off)
Digital 3: on
Digital 4: off

This is waht I recently found helped give a more natural presentation with better depth portrayal, for example.

DB.

4 Likes

I have my CD player connected to Digital 2!

My results were with none of these in use, so if one is actually being used then it may be different and fine.

My aim was for people to be aware that these can be investigated and either it makes no difference or is better/worse and you then know and can decide - they take seconds to try on/off/on and listen. They are small effects that only become more significant when the system is very revealing and some people prefer otherwise to what I reported above.

DB.

1 Like

Ha. Keith donā€™t go sounds good on any old mediocre stereo.

Can these inputs (on/off) really impact on sonic signature?? Seems hard to believe. Iā€™ve tried messing around with them and Iā€™m not convinced I can tell the differenceā€¦:man_shrugging:t2:

Anyone noticing any change to the sound signature of the 333? Itā€™s so perfect here Iā€™m loath to upset the balance, yet keen to be ā€˜up-to-dateā€™.

G

1 Like

Be careful - with 222 there is also a change as with @stavrose

The more revealing the system is the more the little things count. I totally agree with @Darkebear
I hear a big difference with temperature in the room. A few mm speaker placement, cable dressing ā€¦
This is not my liking as it come with fiddle, which I really donā€™t want to do anymore in excess

For instance: sun is warming the roof. Music way better today. So spooky

2 Likes

New update is really more revealing - hearing things I have not noticed before. ā€¦ but in my ears the cohesion.
But in design of sound signature itā€™s also always a balance - good that it is not my job. I would get lost

On an abstract level where things are perfect then it should make no difference.
In practice when the internal circuits are managing interfaces and possibly removing power from things not used - maybe that can be heard or not.

So I just try it - it is easy - and for me it was worth deciding what I prefer. I prefer to investigate and know rather than assume what is possible. I was asked by a member to do this and report on it out of interest - I donā€™t think it is a big deal.

Perception is down to the system and the person listening, so if you hear nothing then there is nothing to had from it in your circumstance, it is done-with and you know and can move-on.

Others find differences and sometimes prefer other than what I found - again I respect this and different musical tastes and how we pesonally percieve things and what is important to us will impact that and in part these are small effects and system-tuning to taste.

DB.

4 Likes

And the member thanks you soooo much.

@Darkebear Can you try to describe in which direction the (small) improvements went?

Happy with what the app does with my favorites albums since I Ā“ve ajusted the configuration to Max, the Hi-res is selected automatic so, more Hi-Res avalaible than expected. Well done Naim.

1 Like

Live Radio City Music Hall 2003? Absolutely incredible. Jaw stunning (yes, I just made that up). This is one of my go to recordings when I want to get real or prove to non-believers how good home stereo can be.

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s the one. I also use this to show off how good a system/recording can sound. The backgrounds singers give me goose bumps. Absolutely incredible is correct.

As I had some posts on doubting the new FW, let me point out the improvements (which are not subtle). I heared a lot music

• more energy
  • more detail (more revealing)
  • heavy and clean bass
  • soundstage broader and deeper
  • more forward and pushy

Overall it is very live music like

Still not decided if Iike the older sound better (as the new one can not played so load as it gets a bit stressing).

But there are huge improvements

2 Likes

You do well to ask rather than assume that it will be better than what you have.

For me personally, on my 222/250 set up, the new sound had an initial wow factor, and some aspects are improved, but it wasnā€™t long before I realised it is a less relaxing sound, more demanding and sharper. I would happily undo the update if it was possible. YMMV

2 Likes

Iā€™ll hold off. I donā€™t use Tidal, so no urgency.

Thanks,

G

2 Likes

Fully correct.
But do we miss the wow when going back? I had songs I know well, where I heared new things. I had songs where I even missed details (which are located in deeper soundstage now).
And I missed myself describing the sound as ā€žpure niceā€œ
And the new fw is also a tad darker (is it?) and this was corrected by my latest expensive fine tuning ā€¦ with recent firmware

When it is so easy to alter the sound, why not add a feature in the software with different options for ā€žroom correctionā€œ.
But I think it is not that easy to manage!